Smoking whilst Driving - OldPeculiar
The subject of smoking whilst driving came up in another topic and I though it was worth of one all of its own (awww bless!). How many people here smoke whilst driving and do you think it increases the danger? Has anyone been pulled over by plod for smoking?

My thoughts on the subject are this "If smoking whilst driving is not dangerous (but using a mobile is) then why do insurance companys ask if you smoke and increse your premimum if you do (but don't ask about mobiles)?"
Smoking whilst Driving - daveyjp
Smoking while driving is dangerous as I experienced yesterday. Middle lane of M1 north, wagon a good distance in front, but I'm going 20 mph more so need to pull out. Look in mirror and see a car rapidly approaching in the outside lane. I make the decision not to move out and impede the progress of the faster vehicle. I slow slightly so the car in the outside will pass quicker and prevent me having to slow to about 50 mph as I approach the wagon. I look in my mirror again and the car in the outside lane has slowed dramatically, but is too close for me to pull out. I then have to slow to prevent hitting the wagon and the car eventually passes me at about 65. I look across and the driver is trying to light a fag, hence the reduction in speed!!
Smoking whilst Driving - pdc {P}
I've had a discarded still lit butt end come in through my window!
Smoking whilst Driving - CM
I smoke and drive.

On long journeys I feel that the nicotine helps keep me alert. Probably the same as having a cup of coffee or red-bull.

I do not have a problem lighting up from the car lighter and do not think that it adversely affects my driving.

I have had a few butts going astray and thta can be a problem with the driving and the upholstery.
Smoking whilst Driving - helicopter
Filthy disgusting habit, that said , yours truly can often be found enjoying a large cigar .

But not at the wheel. 100% concentration required.

IMO you cannot safely smoke and drive. Its the fact that lighting , smoking and disposal require you to take one hand off the wheel, eyes off the road and off the ball.
Smoking whilst Driving - Andrew-T
I hope everyone here agrees that smoking while driving (SwD) can only be less safe than just driving without smoking? More accurately, simply smoking while one drives is not too bad, it's mainly the preliminaries listed by HJ.

However the real difficulty is that SwD is a (nasty) activity accepted and condoned since driving began. That is the real reason why it is so hard to convince the public about mobiles. To say nothing of fiddling with tape players, radios, heaters etc.

Incidentally I don't smoke. I don't even have a mobile.
Smoking whilst Driving - kennybase
My thinking is that it is worse than mobile use whilst driving. OK using a mobile distracts you - BUT should you need to drop the phone whilst driving to take full control of the car, then its no real problem - if you're smoking though - drop that and you've got a whole new problem of flames shooting up!! Still - I'm a non-smoker so I don't know how hard it must be to drive whilst not smoking.
Smoking whilst Driving - peterb
I'm suprised no one has mentioned air bags.....
Smoking whilst Driving - Hawesy1982
I've been passed on the M1 by a driver doing 85-odd and manufacturing a *roll-up* cigarette at the same time. Now that's dangerous!
Could you imagine the uproar from the smoking lobby if the govt introduced on the spot fines for smoking in your car! but that would be self defeating, because it's in the govts interest for people to smoke, due to the ridiculouly high amount of duty paid on snouts.

Phones and cigarettes, ban them both in the car. And while were at it, could irritating breakfast show hosts be banned too? enough to drive anyone to distration!

John Humphries, now there's class broadcasting.
In UK 50 King Edward Invincible cigars £130.

In Bahrein 50 King Edward Invincible cigars 75 Dirhams ( About £13 ).

Guess where I buy mine ?

While we\'re on tax and to keep it on motoring

In UK litre of 4 star around 76p

In Qatar litre of 4 star around 10p

In Qatar I drive a 3.5 litre Honda Legend.

Why are we so heavily taxed and what do we get for it?

SFA (Thats sweet pink fluffy dice).

Sorry mods, thats getting into politics.
Whilst checking the BBC talking point pages about the mobile ban those that advocate a smoking whilst driving ban are getting shot down in flames by the smoking lobby!

Now that it's dark when driving to and from work I can see just how many people do smoke while driving with a constant rain of ciggy butts sparking all over the M4.
Smoking whilst Driving - paulb {P}
a constant rain of ciggy butts sparking all over the M4.

Must say I get a little bored of other drivers' carelessly-flicked (and still lit) butts bouncing off my windscreen, or (worse) coming through the grille and lodging themselves in the radiator and sundry bits of fairing behind the grille.

Two suggestions spring to mind:
1) all cars, to my knowledge, come with ashtrays (even those where you can opt not to have a cigarette lighter), so why not use the said ashtray?

2) if it is absolutely necessary to dispose of the butt outside the car, just reach out of the window and drop it - there is no need to flick it or throw it.

When I was on 40 a day in my heady pre-Ventolin days, I found that option 1) was perfectly agreeable - after all, ashtrays can be emptied and carpets and centre consoles can be vacuumed!
Smoking whilst Driving - Bromptonaut
2) if it is absolutely necessary to dispose of the butt
outside the car, just reach out of the window and drop
it - there is no need to flick it or throw
it.

PLease, PLease, do not put burning butts or ash out of the window. I have had them land on my clothing and in my luggage while cycling. Power bikers have had them in their helmets, there are also lots of car fires attributed to loose butts lodging in the insulation or setting fire to paper or oiled foam filters.

Agree with HJ, the dangers of managing the act in a car should make it a no brainer. Suspect however that the numbers are nothing like those with hands to ears, so powers will probably continue to rely on the full control/due care stuff rather than pressing for specific legislation.
Smoking whilst Driving - davemar
Many years ago when I had the occasional cigarette, I once threw one out of the window and it blew straight back in and landed on my seat behind me and fizzed a hole in my shirt onto my back, ouch! Soon gave that trick up.

As others have mentioned its not the act of smoking itself which is the major problem, its the lighting up and the faffing around with that which cause distractions. As long as you stick to lighting up while waiting in a queue, then I don't see a problem.

Did have a friend who could make a 'recreational' roll-up while driving by steering with his knees.

Smoking whilst Driving - paulb {P}
PLease, PLease, do not put burning butts or ash out of
the window. I have had them land on my clothing and
in my luggage while cycling. Power bikers have had them in
their helmets, there are also lots of car fires attributed to
loose butts lodging in the insulation or setting fire to paper
or oiled foam filters.

...which was the point that I was (very cack-handedly) trying to make :-( On the Ibiza Sport I sold earlier this year, there was a plastic fairing which extended from the underside of the front bumper beneath the grille, back underneath the radiator, almost to the bottom of the sump. Therefore, any solid object that could get in through the grille would lodge in this fairing. Bad design, perhaps, but that's not the point.

I arrived home one day, shortly after having had some cretin in a convertible in front of throw a lit cigarette end OVER HIS HEAD out of the car at 65 mph, smelt an unfamiliar hot smell from the front of the car, looked through the grille and found said cretin's ciggie butt merrily smouldering away and melting a hole in the fairing. Cue many swear words and a brief but energetic period of activity involving the grille and a large jug of water. Bad enough dropping the thing out of the car at all, as Simon correctly points out, but why throw it??????

My suggestion should really have been: use the ashtray, that's what it's there for, and if you don't like the idea of stubbing the butts out in the car, then don't smoke in the car.

End of digression from original topic.......
Smoking whilst Driving - nick
< pink fluffy dice

A welfare state and not having to live in Qatar!
Smoking whilst Driving - THe Growler
Used to be Dinars in Bahrain, unless they've joined the UAE lately ;=)

If you want to smoke real class while driving, Filipino cigars are renowned. They even do a Monica, with her face on the label.....

Just turn off the a/c and open the windows please: sitting in an a/c car that's been smoked in is almost as bad as standing in line at McDo's.
You are correct as ever Growler , I'm mixing up my Dirhams and Dinars, Last trip recently was through Dubai not Manama, much the same price though .

I think I'll pass on the Monica , you just don't know where they've been.Anything bigger than a King Eddy takes too long to smoke although I do have a contact in St James who provides the occasional after dinner Havana.

The welfare state is not needed in Qatar - they are all rolling in Dosh. I believe they are in the top three of the highest per capita incomes in the world. They can pay people to have their operations for them.

The A/C is definitely needed , last month the outside temperature was still around 44 degrees C. It becomes a bit of a problem when you step out of an A/C car and your glasses mist up.

Smoking whilst Driving - THe Growler
Yes I know I spent a total of 18 years in Bahrain, Saudi and Iran. Always seemed to get stranded in Doha airport on flights to Bahrain ex Cairo which for some peculiar reason always transited Qatar. Qatar was one of those places like Canada and Auckland and Bognor which was always closed, so it was de rigueur to take a bottle of how's-yer-father into the first class lounge and mix it with the free Coke. Or actually it was Pepsi not Coke because Coke was still on the Israeli Boycott List along with Ford etc.

But you'll need that car heater soon. Can get mighty cold in those winter nights. As for heat my hottest ever was in Kuwait in a rented Chevy 55° C. But then I'd do most anything for tax-free USD.......
Growler,

I'll keep it short cos its not motoring but if you haven't visited there for a couple of years you probably wouldn't recognise Doha now.

New airport terminal and sports facilities par excellence , new hotels , roads ,shopping malls etc , fast catching up with Dubai.

If you ever flew in a helicopter from Iran or Qatar to the rigs it was most likely one owned by my company.
Smoking whilst Driving - Victor Meldew
You Spelt Bahrain wrong.

Victor
Smoking whilst Driving - Clanger
You could also include picking your nose (risky), inspecting the results (dangerous), cleaning out your ears etc.

And if you mean John Humphrys (pedant alert), I agree. My radio is locked on to Radio 4 so I never hear irritating breakfast show hosts.

However, thinking about my listening habits, I am worried that my bursts of laughter on hearing "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" might affect my driving.

I think that the truth is that some smokers can light up and drive and be safe, and some others can take mobile calls and drive and be safe, while others may be lethal while doing neither. Banning specific activities is not the answer, but I'm not sure what is.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Smoking whilst Driving - eMBe {P}
Of course, it is not safe to smoke while driving.
But two wrongs don't make a right.
So just because there is no law against smaoking while driving, it is excuse for phoning while driving.

Many other activities are unsafe whilst driving, but we have to rely on the common sense of the public to behave responsibly. You don't need to legislate against Merchant Bankers (or Mortgage Brokers to keep things equal) having a Jodrell Bank in their car while driving, do you?
If you want to improve your skills, you take the IAM or other similar route.

Remember that the law on hand-held mobile phone whilst driving is flawed. It is the act of conversing with a party not in your immediate presence which creates the primary damger, the act of holding the phone is of secondary importance. Smoking while driving falls way short of the degree to which mental functions that are employed in having a conversation with an absent party. You can easily test this at home: Try folowing & then recaling details of a TV programme (a) while you are eating/smoking/talking vs (b) while you are on the phone to someone. It should become quite obvious to you that the act of talking to a distant invisible party occupies your conscious brain more so than the activities listed in (a).

The arguements trotted out against any legislation are usually along the same flawed lines.
However, all law-abiding society needs rules and regulations - even if these are not always perfectly drafted.

Now I am getting out of here - I think I have used up my quota of contributions to the Backroom for the mont of December. See you all in January 2005. Happy new year and safe driving.
Smoking whilst Driving - eMBe {P}
January 2005??? Don't worry, I'll actually be back in January 2004!
Erm, eMBe, did anyone actually say that because people smoke in cars that they should be able to use mobiles too?

The point being made is that smoking in a car, as the driver, could potentially be dangerous. It wasn't being used as an excuse to use mobiles.

Smoking whilst Driving - Davy_S {P}
January 2005??? Were you smoking while typing?
Smoking whilst Driving - malteser
When I was in the Motor Trade, I really hated taking a smoker's car in PX.
Even with professional cleaning machinery and materials it is impossible to fully remove the vile smell. This, or the rank odour from a dog owner's car made my PX offers at least £50 to £100 less than for a tidy, sweet smelling lump.
A "smoky" or "doggy" car was always more difficuolt to sell on retail.
"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable"
Smoking whilst Driving - PhilW
As a smoker of (small) cigars and someone who (in the past and only very rarely) answered a mobile in the car I have to say that there is no comparison between the two activities for distracting the driver. With a cigar or cigarette in hand it is possible to still operate all the car's controls with that hand (and probably answer the phone!!) whether it is steering, indicating, switching on the radio. With a phone held to the ear one is effectively driving one handed and the very act of conversing on the phone occupies far more of the brain (well, mine annyway!)than smoking.
Please don't attack me for my views - I accept I might be in a minority of one- after my first couple of experiences I never answered or made phone calls - too distracting! I also agree with the comments made about throwing fag ends (and fag packets and sweet wrappers come to that)out of the window and with the comments about the smell of smokers cars. I haven't smoked in the car for ages either because on short journeys it is not necessary and on long journeys it is a good excuse to stop for a coffee and a stretch of legs every hour or so (oh and my wife -also a smoker - won't let me!)
Smoking whilst Driving - Manatee
Agree with HJ that burning things in a moving car must be courting unnecessary danger. However, not sure if I agree that it is worse than using a mobile. Why? Because of the concentration required on a phone call, and the attention that is required for a call about anything more complicated than "I'll be home in 10 minutes".

Like everybody else, I think its other people who are the problem and I'm perfectly capable of making phone calls while driving. But how many if they're honest will admit that they've missed motorway exits etc when on the phone? Its certainly happened to me, as has arriving at a destination with no recollection of landmarks passed in the preceding half hour. What does that say about the distraction of making a phone call (and it applies equally to hands-free which I always use).

Incidentally, I have been pulled over for eating a pork pie while driving - which I do consider safer than phones or fags.

(non-smoker, occasional phoner and pie-eater)
Smoking whilst Driving - GTLK
Several years ago, I went to look at a used Nissan Primera on a Honda dealers forecourt. The car was immaculate, top of range with leather, air and all the bits. It was about two years old and had done about 12,000miles. Great....except the previous owner smoked and the car reeked, even after valeting. I wondered why the car was cheap, then I knew. So smoking whilst driving is not only dangerous and annoying, it makes big holes on your wallet even after buying the things.
Smoking whilst Driving - kithmo
January 2005??? Were you smoking while typing?

>>
According to eMBe's theory, I deduce that he was making a phone call. ;-)
Smoking whilst Driving - spikeyhead {p}
I smoke and drive, had done for years, will continue to do so.
With the exception of a match lighting and breaking I've never had a problem with it. If you smoke all the time you get used to doing it and its not an issue. I no longer use matches when driving.
It takes far less effort to control a car whilst lighting up than it does driving and sneezing.
They'll be wanting to ban driving with a cold or hay fever soon.
There are already laws regarding driving without due care and attention etc.
We don't need any more, lets not encourage the politicians by suggesting we need more, it only inflates their already overinflated egos even more than they already are.

Rant over.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Smoking whilst Driving - jeds
Not sure what I think about smoking and driving. What I do object to though is people smoking in cars with young children and even babies.
Smoking whilst Driving - BaseRSXmanual
A life time of smoking killed my dad 1 year and 2 months ago. He died of colon cancer. Yes smoking causes all kinds of cancers besides just lung. He was 65. So all you people that smoke at all, let alone want to ruin your car doing so are just asking for it!! What a stupid question to post!! Who the hell needs to smoke so much as to need to do it while driving?!?! God damn idiots!!

Sorry, I?m a bit emotional on the subject.. But really, if you smoke so much that you have to do it while driving you deserve what you get.

Base
Smoking whilst Driving - BaseRSXmanual
You think that was a little too harsh? Ask me about how he actually died. The final moments. I won?t post them now but I will tell you he was 6?1? and weighed about 85 pounds in the end!

Smoking in your car? ;(
My dad is 82, and gave up smoking at 80, after 65 years of smoking.

My mum died aged 60, from cancer, never smoked, and never lived with my dad, so it wasn't his smoke that caused the cancer.

Understand the weight thing as my mum looked like something out of Bergen-Belsen the day she died.

As I have said in previous posts, you're born and you die, and in between why not live your life and enjoy it as you want.
pdc - surely the reason for a ban is not to control people's lives, but to stop those people smoking or using mobiles from ruining other lives because of losing concentration? For myself, I don't care if someone chooses to smoke him/herself to death. provided it is a conscious choice. Maiming or killing others is something I dislike intensely (or poisoning them indirectly).
Andrew-T, this is slightly off topic, so I will keep it short.

I totally agree with a ban on using mobiles while driving. I would agree with a ban on smoking within public buildings, but to make it a criminal offence to possess tobacco, well... Can't even spark up in your own home? In any case, it is noted that it is the medical council who are suggesting this, not the govt.

i doubt the govt would ever do it because a) how would they replace the lost revenue in taxes b) more people alive means more strain on the state pension system. and figures on that new article show that the money spent on treating smokers in the NHS is much less than the revenue generated.
Well, looks like someone somewhere wants to ban tobacco fullstop, not just in cars!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3292979.stm

Wonder what aspect of our lives they will want to control next?
Infact, in the article to which I posted a link, the opposite of "if you can smoke in a car, then why not use a mobile" is argued. If the govt can ban mobiles in cars, why can't they ban smoking everywhere!

ha! If I ever get to be powercrazed would someone please administrer involuntary euthanasia?
Sorry to hear about your loss Base - my Grandmother died age 55 due to smoking, In fact I think there are very few people who have not lost a relative/close friend from smoking.

It seems that the general opinon from those that do smoke is that it's not particularly distracting. Why then do insurance companys ask if you smoke and weight premiums accordingly? Do they look at the tax you pay on fags and see it as an easy way of getting money?
OldP - insurance premiums are weighted for various factors because statistics show the chances are better/worse - simple as that. Younger drivers have more crashes, etc. etc.

But we all know that some smokers are susceptible to lung cancer while others survive to a good age. Insurance will become harder when people can get genetic tests to show which type they are.
If insurers get access to genetic info to set their premiums then what's to stop your boss etc. (ever seen Gattaca?) But I digress...
Smoking whilst Driving - joe
I have been driving (and smoking) for about 18 years.
I stopped smoking 3 weeks ago (permanently, touch wood!).

To answer the original question, I have never been stopped by the police for smoking.

I dread to think how many fags I have consumed while at the wheel, must be tens of thousands. At no time have I ever felt that it affected my ability to drive safely. You soon get the knack of putting your fags within easy reach and being able to light them without taking your eyes off the road.

Only hairy moments have been when I have dropped a lighted fag. It takes a bit of discipline to pull over and stop before hunting for it, but that is what I have done.

The same does not go for mobiles. Hands free is fine, and holding a phone while cruising is fine, but dealing with junctions, roundabouts or unexpected situations is a different thing altogether (particularly in a manual car). I would be the first to admit that using a hand-held mobile phone while driving is dangerous.

Hopefully this will be a rhetorical question for me from now on, but I do think that we are getting too self rightious and nannying about smoking. Ultimately, if we want to smoke and kill ourselves, we ought to be allowed too. Nobody can seriously argue that we do not know what we are doing. If smoking does not make us unsafe at the wheel, we should be allowed to smoke. People are too quick to ban things they disapprove of, and it is a trend that is more and more worrying.
Smoking whilst Driving - smokie
More worrying than smoking while driving is today's CeeFax story regarding an Ohio woman stopped for breastfeeding while driving.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3293447.stm

I sincerely hope this doesn't catch on over here.
Smoking whilst Driving - Stuartli
Depends who she was breastfeeding...

I've smoked whilst driving since 1964, well at least until I got my Bora back in May, when I decided I wanted to keep the interior in pristine condition.

It was so much easier when cars had quarter lights as the air flow carried the ash away safely.

Comparing smoking to using a mobile phone is much easier.

You don't keep a cigarette permanently in your mouth, but using a mobile phone clamped to your ear means just one hand is free to steer, change gear, operate various controls and, for many, to pick their nose.

Apart from the fact that you can't do all this, drive with due consideration and also concentrate on a phone conversation, it's a very good chance that you will eventually end up having an accident.

Even worse are 4x4 drivers who use mobile phones - such vehicles can cause very serious damage or fatalities if they are in collision with a car - and to drive one safely you need to be in full control at all times.

The strange thing about the new mobile phone law is that previously you could be summoned for driving without due care and attention - now it's just a modest fine if you are caught.

A step in the wrong direction I feel.

I witnessed a simple accident last night in which an elderly pedestrian was hit by a Chrysler Cruiser driver, who had turned sharp right into a wide junction.

He admitted afterwards that he just hadn't seen the pedestrian at all until it was too late - to add to his anguish he knew him.

I dread to think just how more serious this accident might have been if the driver had been using a mobile phone.

However, the overall stupidity of so many UK drivers - such as the cases mentioned earlier in the thread - leaves me speechless on many an occasion.

Smoking whilst Driving - GrumpyOldGit
I'm not sure that it's fair to compare smoking with mobile use. It isn't the holding of the phone that's the real problem. It's the serious distraction of holding a conversation on a phone. This has been proved in various experiments.

There could be some comparison if you compare smoking with dialling a number on a phone, which could be seen as similar to lighting up, although the smoker takes far less time funbling than a dialler would I think.

As an ex-smoker I hate cigarettes, but would not support a ban on smoking while driving. I did it myself for years in my youth without a problem. I have also tried using a mobile while driving and it is far more dangerous. Lighting up is not really any worse than switching on the radio or changing stations.

To a non-smoker that may seem an odd comment, but a smoker goes through the actions of lighting up hundreds (thousands?) of times and it becomes second nature. Once the few seconds of lighting up are over, actually smoking the cigarette takes no effort and does not distract, unless it's dropped in the lap of course!
Thanks for your comments, but you seem to be agreeing wholeheartedly with most of what I have said...:-)

But I do beg to differ on one point. Holding a mobile phone to your ear IS a problem, apart from the small matter of trying to concentrate on the conversation AND pay attention to what\'s happening on the road.

By clamping a mobile phone to your ear you have only one hand left, as I said, to steer, change gears (unless it\'s an automatic, but still no excuse), operate controls etc.

Add to that those fools who actually key in text messages or phone numbers whilst on the move and you may realise just why I get so steamed up about the use of mobile phones in cars.

I\'m not all that happy either about hands-free kits because a conversation is still being carried out, but a little less risky than the user actually holding the mobile.

Life on the roads today is difficult enough with so many distractions (i.e. better half chattering away on the left), alert to possible problems or dangers ahead etc, without also having to contend with the idiots with a mobile phone clamped to their ears.

I\'ve no problems with people smoking and driving for the same reasons that you mention i.e. like driving it\'s an automatic process honed over the years.
To keep my car insurance down to under £200 a year fully comp I go online or ring round annually just before renewal is due for the best prices.

I've never yet been asked if I smoke!

You may be confusing car insurance with life insurance as the companies are aware that smokers generally have a shorter life - that means a reduced period for collecting premiums so the cost is higher...:-)
Smoking whilst Driving - PhilW
Apart from the fact that I was told by Norwich Union that, as a pipe smoker, I was classed as being a "non-smoker" for life assurance policies (!) I would also like to ask what "cup-holders" in cars are for;
is it so that you can put you can of coke/cup of coffee/bottle of water in them between stops to drink without fear of them falling over/rolling about etc? or,
is it so that you have a convenient place to put your cup when you stop for a picnic? or
is it so that you have a place to put these drinks that is convenient in that you can then grab them and have a swig while driving?
If it is the latter, is this more/less distracting than mobile phone conversations/smoking while driving? Is a burning fag in the lap more dangerous than a cup of hot coffee? Is holding a coffee and tilting head back to drink it more distracting than holding a mobile to the ear? Can you change gear and drink coffee at the same time? Does putting the coffee cup in the holder delay your gear change so that you over-rev? Do cup-holders shorten engine life? And why do take-away coffee cups now have those tops with a small hole in the top for drinking from if it is not for doing so "while on the move"? Do you "drink and drive"? Should there be more lay-bys to prevent this?
Should cup-holders be banned?
Should I finish the bottle of wine and go to bed? I think I should. Good night and god bless.
Finish the bottle of whine - at least you'll have a good night's sleep..:-)