clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - mattb
I've just bought a 1.8SE 2000-W VW Passat and noticed that sometimes when engaging 1st gear from still. There's a clunk that's felt through the floor pan. It doesn't happen everytime, but I don't know whats causing it, or if its damaging the transmission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Matt
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - Adam {P}
The amount of times I've hi-jacked someone else's thread with problems of my own car you can't count but my problem is extraordinarily similar. I own a Fiesta as most of you probably know! The problem used to be intermittent but now does it quite often. It doesn't affect the performace of the car but it doesn't sound too healthy. Any ideas?
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - Jehovah
Have you both checked the engine mounts for wear - if the rubber has perished etc. you will get movement esp. when moving from rest in low gear. Have you tried going forward + backwards a few time to see if you can replicate the sound?
Yeah - usually only did it when turning harshly and accelerating. Now does it in a straight line although I've braked as harsly as I can without locking the wheels and it never does it.

Don't know about Matt's car though
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - Peter D
I suspect the clutch is not disengaging fully and some drive is keeping the input shaft rotating. If a cable clutch press the pedal to the floor, in neutal, and slip your foot off the clutch to force the auto adjusted to notch up. If hydraulic check fluid and if necessary bleed out any air. Regards Peter
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - mattb
thanks I'll try that, one thing though is that the clunk happens before I drive off, ie. as i engage 1st with the clutch pedal still fully depressed......
It would appear my problem is different then matt as it only happens when 1st is engaged and I am moving off. Apologies for hi-jacking your thread

Sorry...I'll just go now...
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - Aprilia
Mattb - it sounds like 'clutch drag'.
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - kam
Sorry i can't really help you Matt,but my 98my Passat 1.8t sport does exactly the same thing and so far has caused me no reason to be concerned,just put it down to yet another of the Passats' annoying traits!
clunk when engaging 1st gear in passat - sean
Hi mattb,

There should be no clunks. The Passat is a refined and highly desirable vehicle.

The bright people here have already given you some pointers.

I'll give you a few more:

This is a pain, I know, but will lead you in the correct direction. Instead of engaging 1st from neutral, engage 2nd gear, then go forward into 1st. Any clunks (ever?)

What rpm is your engine tickover? (Too fast, maybe?)

Have you any oil in the gearbox? Serious question. Sealed for life? Oh yeah!

If so, what sort of oil? Please see your handbook.

Hope this helps you.