change of plan - pablo
Dear HJ

I posted the following earlier this year - since then found it impossible to find an Ibiza TDI. Quite lucky really as we have just got a dog and now need an estate! what would you recommend - passat, or is there another quality alternative - it will have to be reliable - it goes 300 mile plus. And obviously with that kind of journey needs a little "kick" to it so still TDI? Still worth Diseal.

Ahh well, my H 205 turbodiesel although only 165k has reached the stage where ancilaries are starting to fail. No short runs & hants to cornwall weekly so it has to be on form. Scan of this site, HJ books & others boils my £5kmax + whatever 205 p/ex to seat ibiza turbo diesel, or 206/306 turbo job. 206/306 'coz interior of 206 & vehicle size seen remarkably close to its "bigger" bro. Also have vw golf, so have afinity with both marques. Soooo given that I'm going to keep for similiar mileage which do you all rate? Love the german build & lower price of seat. But are there any hidden pitfalls?Something of a fan of vw warrantys as they replaced the failed hood on my cab f.o.c. Oh, just to completely stir it up, is it still worth going diesel?
Pablo
Re: change of plan - Andrew Tarr
Have a 91H 205 TD (but only 80K). Have had two 306 TDs and feel sure that (a) you would like one and (b) it is bigger than 206. I recommend you find a 95 M/N XRdt or XLdt with 40-60 K on the clock - shouldn't be difficult if you take your time, and ought to cost 4-5 grand. DON'T get a 96/97 as it may have a different turbo or a cat and won't have the same poke.