new road tax disc style - mak
I have just renewed my road tax and I am intrigued with the new style display disc with the bar code. Is this just a 'smart' way of reducing theft thereof or are there more sinister 'big brother' monitoring issues? Would a roadside camera be able to read the bar code? If yes, would I be commiting an offence if I obscured just the bar code when the disc is attached to the windscreen? Perhaps I am just being paranoid.
new road tax disc style - Dwight Van Driver
Bar Code is there to assist in adminstration.

ANPR devices read Reg. Numbers and checks these against records held by Police, DVLA etc.

Certainly looks with the added details hard to forge with a bottle of cow gum, erasure and ink, as pre Bar Code ones.

DVD
new road tax disc style - Pugugly {P}
And a damn sight more difficult to read at a glance.
new road tax disc style - autumnboy
I think these new tax disc's with the bar codes are designed so that the Police with thier road side van Batmobiles, when they are either spy speed camming or scanning the bar codes to validate the disc date and its on the correct vehicle with its Reg. plates.

I think you right about the reason for it, being used for anti-theft and licenses being out of date.

Autumnboy
According to a DVLA circular we received at the Office the bar-code is there simply to speed up the process within the Post Office. DVD refers to it in another thread, and what he says makes sense (when did it ever not ?) that it is to electronically transfer data direct to DVLA rather than by old fashioned paper. I've not had info to suggest that the Police are reading bar codes yet. By the way DVD up in your neck of the woods last week (flying business visit.) Had a very pleasant evening in York, nice beer as usual up north. Oh and a Ghost Tour !
new road tax disc style - Dwight Van Driver
......and a sedate passage along the 1231?

DVD
Oh Yes ! Found out how good Cruise Control is - I was in a borrowed car not so equipped ! In fact it wasn't a half bad Peugeot 307 diesel (2.0 tubo).>> ......and a sedate passage along the 1231?
DVD
new road tax disc style - pdc {P}
Well I would imagine that Mr Plod would have to stop you to scan the disk. I doubt that road side kit would be able to read the barcode. Look at the trouble bar code scanners can have in supermarkets, and they don't have to deal with dirty windscreens, speeding vehicles etc
new road tax disc style - SteveH42
The answer to this is probably due to typical goverment incompetence, but should all vehicles get these new discs, or just certain classes for now? It's just that I've seen these new discs going back for a couple of months now, but also have seen cars obviously taxed within the last few weeks with the old-style ones.
new road tax disc style - Sooty Tailpipes
All new vehicles will have spy chips in the number plates within 18 months, and all those used on the road by 2007. That\'s the plan. It will be put in or around the number plate to fool the oiks into believeing its a \"Smart Number Plate\" (sounds impressive, to help crack down on crime (sounds good). They are planned to be implemented at the annual MOT.

\"The Intelligent Plate will not only assist the police by providing a complete history of a vehicle in a chip, it could also hide a sensor which recognises when a plate is removed from a vehicle, or chips that could be used for road charging, the possibilities are endless\"

This company has developed surface printing which allows chips to be embedded invisibly in the material of the plate.

Chip readers have been priced at just £1000 each and will share the Traffic Master blue coloured road-side equipment we have become accustomed to amongst other sites.

The manufacturer of 50% of UK No. Plates has negotiated the price of the chip down to just £1. Here is an excerpt from their own website;-
\"An Intelligent Plate could not only assist the police by providing a complete history of a vehicle in a chip, it could also hide a sensor which recognises when a plate is removed from a vehicle, or chips that could be used for road charging, the possibilities are endless\"
This company has developed surface printing which allows chips to be embedded invisibly in the material of the plate.
Chip readers have been priced at just £1000 each and will share the Traffic Master blue coloured road-side equipment we have become accustomed to amongst other sites.
Linked to the DVLA and Police National Computer, vehicle (OK, owners) wanted for anything can be pinpointed anywhere. Police cars will be fitted with readers and if your plate doesn\'t respond, expect to get pulled.
If MOT stations can fit them then they can be programmed (i.e. updated) REMOTELY.
If you look on the web you will find detailed construction plans for building the Datatag reader. Be very sure that you will have the ability to build a reader AND writer for these plate chips very soon. It\'s not just that advertisers are bound to pick up on this and just fill their databases with your name and address details but criminals WILL CRUISE DOWN YOUR ROAD and will know who has a two month old R1 in the garage, or who has two or three bikes in the garden shed and just wait for you to go out.
So much for preventing crime!
Details that will be stored include Make, Model, colour, date of registration, owners name and address (so thieves don\'t actually need to cruise down your road), MOT status and road tax, your license details wouldn\'t take up much space either.
Ideas being tossed about are \'drive thru\' road tax offices (again showing that these can be written to remotely.
I would expect that as far as preventing crime goes this will have little effect as thieves will simply re-write the plate chip to match the identity of the vehicle they are \'ringing\'.
When a bike is stolen, expect to find the number plate on the floor where it was parked.
This isn\'t about theft prevention, it\'s about a national network of invisible speed prevention or fining and as your whereabouts will be monitored between any two points 24 hours every day automatically and its about control!
If you think the author is paranoid, please e-mail me a good reason why the government have tried to put this chip in your driving license, a national ID card, in your car and now on your number plate--I\'d be interested to know.
As for MOT stations fitting chipped plates, since when has the MOT been about fitting tags to our vehicles just like criminals on probation? Number plates aren\'t currently covered and nor are chain-guards or speedometers for that matter as they aren\'t SAFETY related which is the whole point of the MOT.
Are you going to sit there and be treated exactly like a criminal?
Are you going to lose you personal freedom of movement in this country?
Are you going to write to your MP about this? You should.
As with other unpopular plans and changes, they aren\'t going to ask your opinion.
They didn\'t consult you about congestion charging did they? They didn\'t make much noise about newly qualified drivers being banned for picking up 6 points in the first two years--they just did it.
Time to be counted and try to stop this before it starts.
new road tax disc style - Jonathan {p}
Are you going to sit there and be treated exactly like
a criminal?
Are you going to lose you personal freedom of movement in
this country?
Are you going to write to your MP about this? You
should.

No, I'm going to microwave my number plates.