Hyundai Accent - uk2usa
Hi All, I'm new so let me know if i break a rule. I have a 95 hyundai accent with the 1.5 12v engine (104000 mi). Recently i have noticed that it spits coolant regularly from the overflow on the expansion tank. The engine is not overheating according to the gauge. I changed the rediator cap, which didnt help. It doesnt do it constantly, but if i drive the car for a while then open the bonnet there is coolant splashed around from the overflow pipe. Evenm when the expansion tank level is significantly low, the problem still occurs, so obviously there is pressure coming from the radiator which causes the overflow. I dont see bubbles in the radiatior coolant. Could the problem still be the head gasket? Fuel economy & power are both down and it seens to have a slight midrange misfire. Suggestions welcome.
Hyundai Accent - Cambridge Chris
it sounds you might be right about the head gasket, but have you considered it might be an air lock in the system, although this would not cause your other symtoms. To clear any potential airlock run the car without the radiator cap up to normal operating temperature, keep your eye on the coolant level, if there is any air this should clear it. Have you checked around the oil filler cap or top of radiator for "white mayonasse" this could signify oil/water mixing.
Hyundai Accent - uk2usa
Hi, I have already tried refilling the cooling system and I did leave the cap off till well after the thermostat opens. No joy. The strange thing is, Iam not getting any mayo in the oil.
Hyundai Accent - Civic8
It is possible you have a sticky thermostat.Ie the stat opens slighty sticks then fully opens suddenly which would cause that problem worth a look?
Hyundai Accent - uk2usa
Hi, I changed out the thermostat several months ago, so I dont think that is the problem either.
Hyundai Accent - Civic8
Could well be head gasket causing pressure in coolant system which would acount for power loss as well.