Advice re:buying Xantia TDi VSX - Freewheel
Hi there,

I am going to see a dark mettalic green '98 Citroen Xantia 1.9 TDi VSX estate, mainly because I want a good size family car with AC for not a lot of money. I have been told be the owner that he has had it from 5000 miles as a company car, and has taken the mileage to 112,000 at wich point he bought it from the company, and got the mileage up to it's present day 140k.

He stressed it was all motorway miles, him and his wife using the car to travel to Leeds and back for work. The inside he says is spotless, as they have no family, and normally carried only a suitcase and briefcase. The outside he describes as excellent, and it has all the usual electric bells and whistles of the VSX, alloys, AC, PAS, ABS etc etc all working. It all sounds good so far, although the miles are high. Questions:

1. How much does anyone 'in the know'' think the car is worth. The asking is £1,650, which sounds reasonable to me?

2. Are there any issues with this model (I read about the VSZ suspension being occasionaly problematic)?

3. I would love to hear any feedback either positive or negative from any owners of this model of car.

4. In the photo of the car it looks like it isn't the updated model as I saw an S-reg car was. Is this strange, or is it possible 1998 model could still be the old shape before the update?

PS. Where is the best place to buy those aftermarket reversing sensors that you can retro-fit to any car?

Many thanks,

Tim (freewheel)
Advice re:buying Xantia TDi VSX - Soupytwist
I have no specific information on the Xantia - I'm sure our resident Fens based expert on such matters will be along shortly - but if all they have no family and all they carried was a briefcase and a suitcase why did they have an estate car ?

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Advice re:buying Xantia TDi VSX - Malcolm_L
Suspension problems on hydro-pneumatic Citroens are normally resolved by changing the spheres, these aren't too problematic providing you have a good chain wrench - or you could get an indy to do it for you.

IMHO I wouldn't bother getting the old ones re-pressurised, it's a false economy.

I used to get mine from Andyspares who was very reasonable.

Check the A/C works as a car this age will have needed at least one refridgerant top-up.

Get the steering geometry checked as they were a bit fragile when it came to potholes and repeated kerbing.

Can't remember the cam-belt life but at 114k it should be on it's second and may be very near it's third.

Advice re:buying Xantia TDi VSX - Malcolm_L
140k - definitely check the cam-belt.

Advice re:buying Xantia TDi VSX - RichardW
1. How much does anyone 'in the know'' think the car is worth. The asking is £1,650, which sounds reasonable to me?

1650 sounds light to me, but: at 140k it will soon be due a timing belt change, probably with water pump and tensioner at this mileage (£300), at 140k - how much longer is the clutch going to last (£400), 5 years old - might need a new radiator soon (£200), and a full set of spheres (there will be 8!) with LHM change £250. More like £2,500 then. If it's reliable and does not need lots of cash spending on it, why is it for sale? As has already been said why an estate for no family / briefcase (big caravan?). I'm a cynic though!

2. Are there any issues with this model (I read about the VSZ suspension being occasionaly problematic)?

Hydractive II suspension can be problematic - it may be erratic in switching from hard to soft or it may not do it all. I think the unenergized state is hard so if it does go to pot, the ride will not be all that great. Not all that much understanding of the suspension, but not all that much to go wrong really - you might need to find an independant that can talk to the ECU for fault diagnosis though.

Big problem with estates is the front door hinges not being properly welded on and falling off - pay good attention for rust / cracking around this area.

1.9TDs can lunch head gaskets, and the heater matrix is prone to failure if the coolant changes have not been done on time with proper Citroen Antigel - replacement is a full day's work plus (dash out). Check for antifreeze smell / dampness in passenger foot well.

3. I would love to hear any feedback either positive or negative from any owners of this model of car.

For the money the Xantia is pretty much unbeatable - don't expect the 1.9 TD to set the world on fire though - especially in an estate! They are quiet refined cruisers though, and will happily sit at 80 (ish..!) on the m-way all day and return the right side of 40mpg. With hydractive they can be hustled pretty quickly along the bendy bits, but expect to have to work the 1.9 TD hard to keep the momentum up.

4. In the photo of the car it looks like it isn't the updated model as I saw an S-reg car was. Is this strange, or is it possible 1998 model could still be the old shape before the update?

The change over was in about 98, so a pre-facelift is possible.

At this mileae you have to buy on condition and history, and set off against this in your head possible costs. If you're only going to do 5k a year then it will probably go for another 4 years with minimal spend. 20k a year, and you can probably expect high maintenance.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....