MOT Question - Leon on Derv
This may not apply to UK mainland MOT's but here in NI the testing agency will be introducing a new test for diesel vehicles allegedly from 2004.

On the new calling notice, it states in the small print that owners of diesel vehicles are to ensure normal levels of engine oil are maintained and the timing belt is correctly fitted and tensioned as they will not be responsible for any damage caused by the new emissions test.

I have been told thy intend to measure the emmissions both at idle and with the loud pedal pinned to the carpet?!?!?

Not sure what they are trying to achieve, surely 2500 = 3000 RPM would be a more realistic test.

Any comments?

Leon

MOT Question - martint123
The testing station I go to has had a warning for quite a few years that diesels will be tested at the rev limiter for some time and that it is up tp the owner to make sure it has a good cam belt.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm (section B post 1979)

B. Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1979

Where possible check that:
. there is sufficient oil in the engine
. the oil pressure is not too low
. the camshaft belt is in a satisfactory
condition
. there is no abnormal engine noise
. the governor has not been tampered
with
. the engine is at normal operating
temperature

MOT Question - Sooty Tailpipes
Yes, we have had this on the mainland for a fair few years, there was a lot of curfuffle when it was first introduced, but it seems to have sorted the wheat from the chaff now.

I think its a bad test, most smoke under load, not free revving, rolling road test would have been better.
MOT Question - GTLK
The advice I heard a few months ago for this was to take the car for a very good run immediately before the test. That way the engine was nicely warmed through for a flat to the floor blast during the test..and...the engine would not blow any smoke as it had all been cleared out by the good run.

If the engine breaks during the test its your fault and no blame can be attached to the tester. Lots of people on the mainland discovered this about five years ago.
MOT Question - Dizzy {P}
I wonder how you would get on if you adjusted the throttle mechanism before the test so that max rpm with the pedal to the floor was, say, 3500 rather than 4500?
MOT Question - wemyss
Many people do this apparently Dizzy according to a Diesel car magazine which I read. However my Vectra has a fly by wire throttle with no cable so it can't be done.
However some MOT testers will not do the flat out test as dictated and use their own discretion.
The one I use only gives enough revs to give a reading and only said last week when I took the wifes diesel car in for its test that he would not rev a diesel to its limit with no load as he thinks it's simply asking for trouble.
He has done mine for a few years and the one he replaced also had the same philosophy and just gently revved the engine.
I think its worth finding a friendly MOT tester and voicing your concerns before you make an appointment.
MOT Question - 659FBE
I always reset the off-load governed speed on my Peugeot 106D (Bosch EP-VE pump) to 3500 rpm before the MOT test. If you take it to a garage not familiar with the engine, they never notice.

Details of how to do this on request - it's dead easy to do without disturbing the normal 5450 max no load rpm setting.

This test is criminal, and proves nothing. 659.
MOT Question - DL
If the engine is not achieving its rated speed, it's pretty obvious.

I'll check the manual today.....

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
MOT Question - Spanner Jack
The Diesel Smoke Test requires the accelerator be pressed 'to the floor' in less than one second. This is held until the analyser has taken a reading, then it is released.

Most Testing Stations should now have the QuickTest installed. If the Smoke Test passes on the first acceleration, then no additional acceleration tests are required.
If it fails, then up to 6 further foot to floor tests can be done..

This test must only be performed on a properly maintained engine. The timing belt history, the vehicle service history, engine oil level will all be checked. Any abnormal noise will result in the test being stopped.

The test is carried out on an engine at correct operating temperature.

The operation of the governor will also be checked before the smoke test is done. The governed speed will be on the MOT wall charts. The engine revs are raised to about half normal, then slowly brought up to governed speed. If the engine revs over the governed speed, then the smoke test MUST NOT be carried out.