speeding tickets - Nick Shirley
I was driving along this morning, doing the 30mph spped limit, when i noticed a copper, hiding in a bush with a speed camera. Is this legal? i myself obviously didnt get a ticket, but i would imagine the bloke doing about 50 in his M3 the other way prob did, i am not condoning speeding, but is it right for them to hide? and just out of intrest, how long does it take to get a ticket through and what is the fine?

cheers

Nick
Re: speeding tickets - Ashley
It all depends on how efficient the particular police force is ! It can take anything from a few days to a few weeks. The penalty is, i think, £60 and 3 points.

I know a pretty good joke about coppers and speed camera's, but it's not suitable for a family based forum !

Rgds,

Ash.
Re: speeding tickets - Tom Shaw
The ticket must be issued within 14 days or it becomes invalid. This in case the driver has a legitimate defence for exceeding the limit, ie accelerated to avoid another vehicle etc., he could not be expected to have any memory of the event in the course of time.
Re: speeding tickets - Robert Major
The 14 day limit certainly applies to a fixed camera. Does it also apply with a manually operated system too?
Re: speeding tickets - Dwight Van-Driver
For speeding offences you must be given Notice of Intended Prosecution either verbally at the time (Follow - Hand Held Radar) -
"You will be reported for the consideration of prosecution for exceeding a speed limit - your not obliged to say anything etc etc"
or if not stopped (Camera etc) then written notice within 14 days of the commission of the offence must be given. Ticket/ summons/charge within 14 days covers this if not then technically you cannot be prosecuted for exceeding a speed limit. BUT if police can show that they used due diligence and were thwarted in getting notice off in 14 days then you can still be prosecuted.
Cops behind bushes - never happend in my day - dear me......
Re: speeding tickets - Dave
Dwight Van-Driver wrote:
>
> For speeding offences you must be given Notice of Intended
> Prosecution either verbally at the time (Follow - Hand Held
> Radar) -
> "You will be reported for the consideration of prosecution
> for exceeding a speed limit - your not obliged to say
> anything etc etc"
> or if not stopped (Camera etc) then written notice within 14
> days of the commission of the offence must be given. Ticket/
> summons/charge within 14 days covers this if not then
> technically you cannot be prosecuted for exceeding a speed
> limit.

Remember - if you're done by a rozzer as opposed to a camera he will give you the NIP verbally!