Fiesta MK3 Battery Charge Light - john-987
A friend mentioned in passing that her battery warning light is on the whole time the engine is running. As this has been so for 2 or 3 months and her battery has not gone flat, the usual causes can be discounted. I'm looking at the car later this week and any suggestions would be welcome. It's a M Reg 1100cc Fiesta.
Fiesta MK3 Battery Charge Light - Ford Dagenham
Hi

Does the light go out if she touches the throttle, Or does it stay on even with varying engine speeds.

This may be a malfunctioning alternator or the speedo binnacle may be damaged.

Hope this helps
Martin Winters
Fiesta MK3 Battery Charge Light - john-987
Thanks for the reply Martin. As I understand it, the light is on the whole time irrespective of engine speed. However, the car owner has zero knowledge of cars and I'm beginning to have doubts about what she said. I'll have to wait until I see the car for myself. Can a faulty alternator cause the light to be on but still charge the battery normally?
Fiesta MK3 Battery Charge Light - Ford Dagenham
Hi

It could be something giving the sensor a false reading therfor causeing the light to illuminate i suggest she takes the car to ford or other respectable garage and ask for an alternator output test etc this should be free

Regards
Martin winters
Fiesta MK3 Battery Charge Light - Civic8
It is poss that the belt is slipping probably the why but its unlike an alternator prob as it`s charging or sounds like it
Fiesta MK3 Battery Charge Light - RichardW
We had a car like this - alternator worked fine, but the light stayed on. Only trouble was when the alternator did pack up first I knew about it was when the car wouldn't start! Changed the alternator and the light went out. I suspect however that there is a fault with the alternator, such as a blown diode, which is causing the light to be on. During the winter with heavy electrical usage this may cause the battery to slowly discharge.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....