Washer Bottle 'Anitfreeze' - Paul
In a few weeks, here in the bleek North at least, I will need to put 'anitfreeze' in my washer bottle.

The warning on the container says "Keep off paint work" - however the roof and screen pillars etc get covered with the stuff - diluted of course.

Will the paint work be damaged over time with this product?
Re: Washer Bottle 'Anitfreeze' - Adrian
'You cannot be serious'....don't put antifreeze in your washer bottle!
just buy some screenwash and put that in instead.
Re: Washer Bottle 'Anitfreeze' - Paul
Marcus, Marcus, Marcus, no, no, no.

Screen wash contains an antifreeze, that's why I said 'antifreeze' - there is still a warning on winter {if that's what you want to call it} screenwash re its antifreeze content and possible damage to paint work

Paul
Re: Washer Bottle 'Anitfreeze' - Paul
Adrian, Adrian , no no no, no , no

Screen wash contains an antifreeze, that's why I said 'antifreeze' - there is still a warning on winter {if that's what you want to call it} screenwash re its antifreeze content and possible damage to paint work

Paul
Re: Washer Bottle 'Anitfreeze' - Mike Harvey
Paul, I've read that warning too, and assumed it's just a legal get out incase you put it on neat or something. I've never had a mark on caused by screenwash. But real antifreeze is like paint stripper!
Mike
Re: Washer Bottle 'Anitfreeze' - Stuart B
I guess the question relates to the fact that if you put additive in at the concentration recommended in winter it costs a fortune and you still have frozen washers in extreme temperatures.

Up here in the frozen northern wastes I find that if I use the washer additive at the recommended dose for winter motoring there are also unpleasant smeary side effects on a hot screen, possibly due to the concentration of other additives, plus the smell is oh so unpleasant.

What I do is go to a chemists, one supplying commercial laboratories is better and cheaper as the local pharmacist will think you are an alcoholic. Buy a winchester of iso propyl alcohol , or propan-2-ol. Make up the mixture at the normal strength of washer additive, add an additional few% of the ipa and unless its ridiculous, like -24C then its not a problem.

If you really want to be scientific maybe you could make up different strengths and see at what level it freezes in the domestic freezer which is at least @ minus 18C. In fact I might do that myself and let you know the result. But I have never had any problem with paintwork, wiper rubbers whatever. But all you are trying to do is get the alcohol content up to the level that the manufacturer says is good for low temperatures but at a lower cost.

Maybe a proper chemist has an answer on freezing point and alcohol content?