Omega noise - smokie
The Omega MV6 is a little over 70k miles now and had new tyres all round in the last 5k. N/s front wheel bearing replaced (unnecessarily, as it happens) by Vx dealer at 20k-ish.

Whether it coincided with the tyre change I'm really not sure, but I now have a mechanical whiney kind of noise which to me seems to emanate from the front, probably o/s. There is also a small amount of judder noticable very occassionally , which is magnified sometimes when braking gently at slow speeds. The noise is hard to describe. It isn't a harsh noise, more a kind of "resonance" noise (I mean by that the kind of noise when something isn't spinning true, or two things are spinning at nearly the same speed, so the sound goes in and out of sync - sheesh - hard to describe - I know what I mean!!).

I know it could be two (or more) unrelated problems.

I took the car back to the tyre fitters and sure enough the front o/s was "well out" in balancing. But presuming it's now correct, the problem remains.

I'm guessing the following are possible:

Tracking
Wheel bearing
Something to do with the driveshaft??

but there must be some other options. There is no performance issue and it definitely sounds mechanical. Oh, and is speed related.

Any thoughts anyone?

I'm inclined to get the tracking checked (not sure if that was done with the tyres), but if that doesn't cure it then leave it until the noise gets worse, and probably more identifiable. Would that be a reckless thing to do?
Omega noise - KM
My Omega, 2.5 V6, at around 85K, had a strange noise, sort of turbine like to begin with, and I thought it was coming from the front at one point. It was not easy to say exactly where it was coming from, nor was it easy to describe. It turned out to be the rear differential unit, yet another of the 'common' Omega faults. I wouldn't mind just a few of these faults, but it seems I've had the lot!

I would suspect the diff along with your other possibilities. Took my Omega for a VX diagnostic as I was not sure what was causing the noise. They correctly diagnosed the diff, and said mine was particularly knackered. When I replaced it and had the old one off there was a massive amount of 'play' on the pinion.

I get a vibration like you describe under gentle (and hard for that matter) braking. Still not sorted it out despite new discs/pads & new track rod end & new tyres.

Omega noise - scotty
doh, I'm not liking the sound of this thread one bit.

My 2.5 V6 is making a whirring noise, particularly when I'm slowing at low speed ... or perhaps that's just when I notice it. Passengers don't seem to be aware of it, so perhaps I can feel it as much as hear it.

I had a roof box on when I first noticed it (I was on a camping holiday) and thought it was the box resonating. Then I thought perhaps tyre noise as I'd recently had a new set fitted.

Doesn't seem to be getting worse and before I read this I'd nearly convinced myself it was all in my imagination. This started about 5K miles back, only 42K on the clock now.

The comments on this thread all sound very familiar :-(

How expensive is a replacement diff?
Omega noise - JonM
What make of tyre did you get fitted? I've read (on another thread here I think) that some types of Avon tyre can result in a noise after a few thousand miles. My 3.0 Omega had just one of these tyres fitted when I got it. It sounded like either a wheel bearing was going or the diff was making a noise. I've now changed the tyre and the noise has gone.
Cheers - Jon
Omega noise - Aprilia
Diff whine is common on the Omega and difficult to 'place'. The noise is generated at the contact frequency of the crownwheel and pinion teeth and is most noticable on the overrun at any speed, although it may also be noticable at 55-65mph cruising.

I have rebuilt one of these diffs and they are very difficult. You must use 'engineers blue' to set the pinion teeth contact pattern (adjustable via spacer washers and a crush collar) and backlash (about 7 thou IIRC). DIY job with new bearing kit etc. is about £100 in parts. Exchange unit will probably set you back at least £400 (from an independent rebuilder)

Make sure diff oil level is correct.

A good rebuilder (does mail order exchange units) is Nicol Transmissions, Kidderminster. Speak to the owner, Nick Bevin. He does rebuilds for fleet customers (eg AA) and has a very good reputation without being OTT price wise.

Omegas are such troublesome cars, esp. V6, I wonder why people persist in buying them.
Omega noise - Aprilia
PS - when diff gets quite worn you can 'play' this noise on the throttle - i.e. as you ease on and off throttle the noise will come and go. HTH.
Omega noise - scotty
Thanks Aprilia.

Good luck Smokie.

I think I can probably leave mine for now until it all becomes more noticable.
Omega noise - scotty
For what it's worth, Goodyears. I suspect Aprilia has the real cause.
Omega noise - smokie
Thanks all

I'm not handy enough to carry out this kind of work myself - often wish I was.

Jon, the tyres were Avons - maybe that's the cause, but I doubt it. Although when I bought the car the fitted tyres gave horrendous tramlining, which was cured with the next set I bought.

At present the noise really isn't THAT bad - I really only noticed it last weekend when driving some considerable miles with no ICE on.

So unless anyone suggest to the contrary, I am going to do the same as Scotty - wait until it becomes more intrusive (and probably easier to diagnose!)
Omega noise - KM
Re cost of new diff, Vx only want c£2,500 for a complete unit!!!! I got a really good one of the net for £150.
Omega noise - smokie
Just a brief update now that I've spent nearly £900 tracking this noise down...and hopefully curing it

Mech thought it was os wheel bearing, changed it, no change

So used old (good) o/s wheel bearing on n/s - no change

Changed front pads & discs - no change

Swapped wheels front to back - no change

Due to uneven tyre wear on n/s front, went to Micheldever today for tracking and two front tyres.

Tracking was spot on.

All 4 Avon tyres were "out of shape" and badly stepped (although not yet illegal)

New tyres *seems* to have cured the problem. Goodyears, £99 per corner.

Tyre mech said I should never have used Avons...

But then he would!!

Anyway, top marks to JonM for identifying this accurately at the top of this post!
Omega noise - Aprilia
I have come across cars where the tyres are making a noise, but I've found that weather makes quite a difference (i.e wet or dry road) because of the lubricating effect of the rainwater; whereas with a 'mechanical' noise it tends not to alter with the weather.
Omega noise - Sooty Tailpipes
Out of interest which Avons were they, and what Goodyears did you replace them with, I had problems with my Omega when I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front, it would tramline and chase the camber of the road, going back to more of a 'comfort/grand touring tyre' cured the problem.
Omega noise - smokie
The Avons were ZZ somethings I think. The Goodyears are Eagle F1s.

I bought the car with original tyres (can't remember if Pirelli or Michelin) and it tramlined awfully.

Swapped them for B F Goodrich which hardly tramlined at all, and were good, grippy and reasonably priced.

Then the Avons, now the Goodyears.

IIRC you can get camber/toe in adjusted to reduce the tramlining effect - not sure where I read it, probably here somewhere. Da man at Micheldever deliberately offset (?) mine yesterday to help it out.
Omega noise - Sooty Tailpipes
Well, you have the best tyres for grip, that's for sure, I hope you have no tramlining, I also think the F1s are smooth and quiet too, compared to the Pirelli P6000 Js I replaced them with! I still keep F1s on the rear, hate mixing them on a car, but they are so grippy in the wet, it defies belief!
Omega noise - BodgeJob
I too had problems with Avon ZZ1's on the Omega and also thought it was the diff when I first heard it. Astonishing what difference switching to Conti Premium Contacts has made, only wish I had done it earlier.

With regard to the vibration on braking (assuming it is an auto, can you feel it through the gear selector too?). Mine also does it. I have it on good authority that this is most likely to be failed lower suspension arm bushes. The most common one to fail is the large rubber bush with the bolt going vertically through it. When this fails it often causes the inner edge of the tyres to wear as they toe out at speed. It may not show up when the tracking is checked as the bush returns to normal when the car is not moving. If the front of the car is jacked up the rubber centre of the bush can be seen to have torn away from the metal surround.

In the case of the vibration however I am told this due to the front bush on the suspension arm, which the bolt goes through horizontally. The experts say it is better to have the whole arm (complete with new bushes) replaced but this is not cheap. They also suggest doing both arms (all four bushes) at the same time then getting a full geometry check and adjust (castor, camber and toe) not just the tracking as done at most tyre centres.

This is the next job to attend to for me, will report back if it is a success.

Jon L (not the same one as higher up the thread)
Omega noise - RobertH
Jon
You are spot on i too have a 2.5 Omega had the same problem but with michelins tramlining and sounding like bearings gone my garage said lower bushes had these change no difference i was then told i was silly just changing bushes i should have changed the whole rms this i did £75 each from Andrew Pages no different suspect bearings changed these no different. On my other cars i have always had Avon so i wrote to avon and they said there was a problem with zz1 but the new zz3 was better and told me to increase the toe in. I fitted the tyres and it made no diference to the tramlining but the noise went. I was on holiday a couple of weeks later and got talking to a chap who was a mechanic for the police force and when i told him i had omega with probs he gave a wry smile and said the answer is to increase toe from 0.10 to 0.20 in millimetere is 7mm toe in this i did and voilla car runs absolutely perfect i wish i had took his address so i could thank him propely he talked of putting protractor on a straight pencil line to work it out in miilmetres as not many garages have equipment that toes in degrees

Robert H
Omega noise - smokie
I'm not technical, but I had a look at these bushes when the car was up in the air. They looked OK to me. The new discs and poads seem to have cured the small judder when braking (for now anyway!).

There is a Vauxhall owners cluib on Yahoo which I subscribe to where someone has posted the following:

Auto Parts Online are selling wishbones at £26.00 each.
sslrelay.com/buypartsby.co.uk/wishbonelh_details.p...0

Whether those are the parts you need I'm not sure, but they look cheaper tham you mention. Also www.autovox.com had the same parts at £45 each IIRC. Hope that helps!

(NB there was once discussion either here or there, can't recall which, that the cheap parts do not use good rubber in the bushes...)
Omega noise - BodgeJob
Said I would report back when I had done the front bushes.

Well it has cured the vibration completely. These bushes, unlike the verical ones, were apparently a nightmare to remove(needed drilling and hacksawing)cost me an extra £10 each to remove and replace.

On reflection I think replacing the whole arm is the best policy. Lets face it if one of the three anchoring points has failed the chances are the others will soon need replacing and if you do both bushes and the ball joint you might as well do the whole arm, especially as the ball joint has to be drilled off!

If you have a friend in the trade Vx part is about £45 each apparently, The bushes have been modified somewhat because of the failure rate I suspect, so would not recommend non Vx.
Omega noise - smokie
I was going to get the arms done in their entirety, it was the next step after the tyres. Yep, £45 from the trade catalogue, also from AutoVaux I think.

When I had the wheel bearings done I could have just got the bearings, or the bearings with hub. Price differential was quite large but my mech said he'd go for the full assembly as it can sometimes be impossible to break them apart.