2.0HDi Starting Problem - GeoPlay
I have owned a Citroen Xzara 2.0HDi for over 4 years. The car has always started without problem, usually at the first attempt. However 2 days ago, after leaving the car for approx. 20 minutes (shopping) the car refused to start. After the last lengthly attempt all the 'checking/warning' lights went out apart from the 'diagnostic' light. On returning approx. 1 hour later the car started instantly and has done so ever since.
Although I am pleased that the car runs OK I am somewhat concerned about its future reliability.
Has anybody experienced problems of this nature and can you suggest what may have caused the problem. Should I be concerned with the cars future reliability?
2.0HDi Starting Problem - Robin the Technician
Hi,
When you say it would not start, was the engine cranking (turning over) but not starting? When you turned the key did most of the lights go out on the dash but no engine turning?
This happened with my old Montego. I drove home from work one evening, came out 15 mins later and it was dead. Turned out to be the battery. However it did work a week later to jump start SWMBO Metro. After that is was useless again, so I dumped it.
As you've owned your Citroen for 4+ years I assume you've not changed the battery. Its probably due for change now.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
2.0HDi Starting Problem - GeoPlay
The engine turned over without problem fast enough to extinguish all warning lights except diagnostic light.(my maths is very poor as I have owned the car from new for over 3 years not 4).
A friend has suggested that perhaps the electonics did not recognise the ignition key and upon locking/unlocking and re-insertion the problem was cured. But will it happen again?
2.0HDi Starting Problem - Robin the Technician
Your problem is more familiar to me now. I've had a Pug 406 diesel and a similar thing happened to me not long after I had the car. Turned out to be the plip. The batteries were on the verge of going down and it opened the car but it would not start. After changing the batteries as advised by my local pug agent, the problem never occurred again. Apparently you should insert the key and turn the ignition on whilst holding the button down on the key. This 'reminds' the ECU that the key is correct for the car. Confused?? I was but I don't have any problems with mine now.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
2.0HDi Starting Problem - AlexD
I've got a '99 Xantia TD that did the same thing to me while I was in France. My heart started pounding as I saw the bills flash before my eyes as well as some light on the dash to which I'd never paid any attention before! But I took the key out and it started fine once I'd put it back in.
Have also had probs with glow plugs etc, but they 'APPEAR' to be fixed now..!