306 Speedo Problems - CGW
I have an R Reg 1998 registered 306 LXD with 118000 on the clock. Last week the speedo became erratic, I was stationary and the speedo said I was going a speed in excess of 160mph! My local garage has replaced the top unit, £35 vat and labour, to no avail, they have check all wiring all know recalls cleaned and checked everything, all with no success.
The problem appears to go away when the car has done 10-12 miles from cold, the needle which sticks off the scale judders and on stopping returns to zero and works fine.
The local main dealer hasnt encountered the problem. Peugeot UK is saying checking with their computer diagnostics and replacement of the main unit at a cost of £178 vat and hours labour, but with no guarantee of success. Has anyone got any suggestions? Or should I call it quits and replace the car? Its already had a replacement back axle, new ignition barrel and alternator.
306 Speedo Problems - Civic8
Why did you need a new gearbox/axle? I don`t know the car but I assume it`s an electronic speedo.I may be corrected here but I think there is a speed sensor on the gearbox/axle which tells the ecu the speed you are doing.the ecu then tells you via speedo what you are doing.If one or other is faulty you won`t get a true reading.and as you say a new box has been fitted it may be an earth lead not put back on.Just a guess? let me know
306 Speedo Problems - CGW
Hi Sorry for delay in responding.

The car needed a new back axle as friend commented that it was sitting low on the suspension according to the garage it is an inherent weakness in the 306 suspension system. I included it in my message as I am unsure at what point to say enough is enough in repairs to the car and replace, any thoughtsd welcome.

The garage has replaced the spedo sensor unit, at a cost of £30 plus 2 hours labour. Peugeot have said the whole unit should be replaced but with no guarantee of success.

I will need to see what the garage say to your suggestion, so will let you know

Many thanks for your suggestion

Charles Woodland
306 Speedo Problems - scubagirl
I have the same problem with my 306 meridian 1998 the speedo sticks past 140mph but does on the odd occassion decide to work. I've taken it to 2 seperate peugeot garages and after they looked at it... first garage said it was the speedo cable that would need to be replaced and the second said that this year model doesn't have a cable and it would require a whole new dash board to fix the error. Seeing as I keep getting told all sorts rubbish does anyone know what is the actual problem with the speedo or can anyone tell me how I can fix it seeing as Peugeot don't seem to have a clue!! THANKS
306 Speedo Problems - scubagirl
Has anyone managed to solve the problem of the faulty speedo yet?? I have been in contact with 4 different Peugeot garages including their head office and each one tells me its something different.
I wrote to Watchdog with the hope they could help but they said they don't know if this is a common fault and if it is they would like more people to contact them... so if you do have a faulty speedo please email watchdog at www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog and they'll take up the fight too!
But until then can anyone help me with sorting out my speedo so I'm not showing a speed of 160mph when I'm not moving!! Thanks
306 Speedo Problems - dieselhead
Have to say 2 hours labour is a lot to remove the 10mm bolt holding in the speed sensor!!. Sounds like a loose/dirty connection onto the sensor itself (on differential housing on gearbox) or loose connector onto instrument board. Also check wiring under bonnet as the loom sometimes melts/chafes and wires short out.