Home Servicing. - David Woollard
Did anyone see the (ITV 7.30pm tonight) programme on car home servicing?

Felt a bit sorry for the guys being filmed but they were very poor. That Kwite Fast job at £120 was a lot of money for very little, at least as it was presented.

Did you notice the use of an oil vacuum extractor as discussed a while ago?

I hate trying to work at the customers house/office, you really need all the facilities round you for a proper job.

Amazed they didn't appear to use a schedule just apparently walking round at random in a diy fashion.

And unlike the usual expose they seemed to want to get away with the minimum rather than advising lots of extra work.

Having said that I know TV editing can be very deceptive.

David
Re: Home Servicing. - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
David,

Sorry to say I did not see the programme - too busy getting ready for the Goodwood Revival meeting tomorrow, but I hadn't spotted it anyway. If you (or anyone else) happened to video it I would be very interested in a copy / loan.

As a totally mobile operator I actually value the oportunity to meet the customer and discuss things as we go, and quite honestly feel that they often feel impressed to see what is being done, have it explained, and see the level of equipment and skill involved.

Regards, Adam

PS. I would NEVER use a vacuum oil scavange !!
Re: Home Servicing. - David Woollard
Adam,

Must clarify I was saying "I" hate working at a customer's home because I'm not equipped for mobile work.

I have to pack what I think I need and go back for the things I actually need. Didn't mean to give the impresion it wasn't possible to do a home job, just harder for me.

David
Re: Home Servicing. - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
David,

Completely understood, but DID YOU TAPE IT ??!!!

Adam
Re: Home Servicing. - Mark (Brazil)
>
> PS. I would NEVER use a vacuum oil scavange !!

I know this has been discussed before. But I have a question...

In the US I have a Firehawk. To all intents and purposes its just a very powerful Pontiac Firebird. On a good day perhaps even faster than a lada.

However, when the work was orignally done, one of the things they did was change the sump plug from a normal bolt to a bolt with a valve in it. What they do then, when they change the oil, is attach something to the valve and suck it out.

The purpose being that the engine needs 3000 mile oil changes. So each 3000 mile they change the oil using this and at each 6000 they take the plug out as normal and drain everything including, I suppose, whatever garbage has collected.

I've always just accepted this. The car does very little mileage because I'm not at home in SF very often, I guess it only does around 5000 per year, if that.

The car itself is well cared for - started, run, maintenance and everything.

However, am I asking for trouble, since with this low mileage it isn't getting the "normal" job often ? In fact, its only done 18000 in four years, so I guess its only had three.

Mark.
Re: Oil Draining - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Mark,

The tap in the sump plug is an excellent idea, and one that I have used myself on an older car that has poor filtration and hence more regular oil changes. I can't see any problem with using a suction device in that manner, although I suppose the occasional larger bit if debris (heaven forbid) might not make it through.

My concern lies with sucking up through the dip-stick tube, whcih must leave some oil/sludge on the floor of the sump pan.

Regards, Adam
Re: Oil Draining - John Davis
Years ago, in my Castrol days, we experimented with a fixed drain trap in the sump, operated via a cable to (hopefully) a hidden pull knob. It was thought however that the inevitable mistakes, ie, pulling out the "choke" and emptying the sump of it's oil, would bring too many problems and this experiment was abandoned. Also, as an experiment, we fitted a number of air operated, quick oil change units at various motorway service areas. The pump started automatically and, when the vacuum wand was applied to the dipstick tube, most of the old oil was evacuated to a holding tank. A good idea for people who had intended to get their oil changed but only remembered when they were half way up the motorway but, this experiment had it's drawbacks too. Although there was a strategically sited "oil bar", it was surprising how many people forgot to put any fresh oil in. Another excellent use for the dipstick oil evacuating device was (probably still is) in the fleet hire boatyards. Boat engines cannot be drained easily and this was a godsend for say, about fifty boats which needed to have the oil changed on a Saturday morning at the height of the holiday season.
Re: Home Servicing. - Martin
I used to work (as a student in the late 70's) for Heron Service Stations, who used to sell oil with a 'free oil change' by vacuum scavange via the dip stick tube. The b******s docked my pay of the value of 5 litres of their dodgy (smelled like oranges!) oil when a customer complained about dirty oil after the so-called oil change. Common sense really - they never worked out how to change the oil filter by vaccum...