Astra Multi function Display - craig the car
Hi All,
I have an S reg 1.6 Ls Astra. I installed a new radio about a year ago and the multi function display only displayed the date, time and temperature, which was fine. About a month ago the MFD suddenly stop displaying anything? Does anyone know what could be wrong with it. My first thought was a fuse but i can\'t find the fuse for it. Any ideas where this may be located??

Thanks

Craig
Astra Multi function Display - Dynamic Dave
Sounds like the backlight bulbs have gone. Although the display look like it's LED, it's actually LCD with 19th century bulbs illuminating it!! Not sure on how to remove the dash panel to replace them, but a Haynes manual should be able to guide you.
Astra Multi function Display - RoadDevil
have a look at www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=16221&...#
Sorry, yours would be the current shape, the bulbs required seem to be Vauxhall part no: 90566032, 2 off. I would think the method for changing them is similar to the older model, don't know if it's as easy!
RoadDevil,

I think that Craig\'s Astra is the Mk4 (S Reg), not the Mk3 (J to R Reg) that your link refers to.

Craig, care to come back and confirm whether your Astra is the latest shape one, or the previous one?
Did that really take me 4 mins to type that out?

My Dad had his display changed under warranty (failed within 3 months) Bulbs were ok though. I vaguely recall the mechanic having to remove pretty much the whole dash panel from the display unit, right down to the ashtray, which included having to also remove the radio. I say vague as it was some 5 yrs ago when it was changed.
Astra Multi function Display - craig the car
Thanks for all the info guys it's helped loads.

Mine is the new shape, which is bad news for me. Just looked at the haynes manual i do indeed have to take apart most of the inside of the car to replace 1 poxy bulb, starting with the ashtray, radio etc etc etc. A job for the weekend i think. Do you know how much the bulbs cost and can i get them from a halfords or similar??
Do you know how much the bulbs cost and can i get them from a
halfords or similar??

Any motorist centre will sell them.
The bulbs on their own will only cost pennies, but you might end up having to replace the bulb holders as well, because the original ones will more than likely have the bulb connections spot welded to the holder. Although you'll still be looking at less than a couple of quid for the parts.
Personally, I'd get the bulbs from a dealer to hopefully avoid dismantling half the car (usually on a Sunday afternoon!) and then finding you don't have the right ones leaving you with two choices, either put all back again and have to pull it all out again when you've got the right ones or walk to work Monday morning!
Astra Multi function Display - Immst24
I dont think its the bulbs as there are two of them and the chances of them both failing together are slim.

Have you checked the fuse for the display its located in the main fusebox below the drivers dash.

If its not the fuse then Its likely to be a failure of the unit itself.