Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Wee Willie Winkie
Guys and Gals,

This afternoon I made a completely random purchase.

I was having an idle wander around e-bay at the ‘Bid now before it’s gone’ section and came across a 1965 Morris Minor 1098, with a then current price of £160.00. Hmmmm. I thought and carried on browsing.

Now, here is the scary part. I put the winning bid in. I didn’t really mean to, I’m not even sure I want a second car, let alone a Moggie that I haven’t seen ‘in the flesh’. Ah well – I’d best make the best of the situation I thought. Then I realised the darn thing was in Kent. I’m in Southport. Great.

Anyway, I now need to transport the car 300 odd miles, either by driving it (!) or borrowing a relative’s Landrover and trailer.

Why do I put myself through these things when it’s more likely to turn out to be a dog than not?!
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Rob the Bus {P}
Don't worry - they'll be along with your medication soon ;-)

See you tomorrow!

Cheers

Rob
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Pugugly {P}
Bought what is probably the best British, post war people's car.

I hope its in good nick but at least its fixable, no ECUs, no computers, no cam belts, no immobiliser and the only chips its ever had inside it were the potato type.
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - nick
For £160? Best go back to eBay and bid on a MIG welder!
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Clanger
probably the best British, post war people's car.

Now that doesn't say a great deal does it?

Good luck DieselBoy, I hope it suits you. If not I guess we'll be seeing it in the classifieds before long.

Morris Minor? Oh gawd, I'm off for a lie down ...

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Hugo {P}
Is it on the road with an MOT???

If it is, you're increadibly lucky!

Get yourself full Recovery cover with the AA or RAC or green flag etc, they may want to start the policy 24 hours later.

Sort out the insurance

Get the tax disk (tax exempt so you're laughing)

Take the train down with a FULLY CHARGED mobile phone and go and pick it up.

If you break down. Contact the recovery people.

If it is not MOTed and can be towed. You can hire those little towing dollies for around £40 or so for a day. You need a large vehicle to tow it with though.

BTW are you married?? - cos if you are I can make a prediction that due to the nature of the planets and the stars etc your random decision making and events that have unfolded as a result, your marriage may go through a rough patch in the near future.....

I would try and find the Horoscopes in one of your partner's magazines that can explain this moment of madness in an astriological way - she may buy it!

Best of luck with this anyway. I have a Morris Minor Haynes manual that is on e bay at the moment. If I get no bits on it or have another one do you want it? £7 incl post?

Hugo
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - looking4car
What is the URL on ebay ?

should be something like

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...9

let's have a butchers ;-)
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - clariman
What is the URL on ebay ?
should be something like
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...9
let's have a butchers ;-)

See my other post, I assumed it was this .....

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2439...1
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - clariman
BTW are you married?? - cos if you are I can
make a prediction that due to the nature of the planets
and the stars etc your random decision making and events that
have unfolded as a result, your marriage may go through a
rough patch in the near future.....
I would try and find the Horoscopes in one of your
partner's magazines that can explain this moment of madness in an
astriological way - she may buy it!

Appears to have bought said moggie using his wife or girlfriend's Ebay ID (as it is a female name)!

Is this the car?

- Green 4 door saloon, with a mileage (second time around) of 46,500.
- MOT mid November 2003, tax end November 2003 Converted to take unleaded fuel.
- The car is used almost daily - it starts and runs well.
- The bodywork is OK but there are signs of age in the normal places although it is apparently sound.
- Original seats and interior - all reasonable condition and would clean up well.
- The underside has had work undertaken over the years and it passed last year's MOT with no need for any work although it will undoubtedly need attention in the near future.
- The car is tired and in need of a caring owner.

But, hey, it only cost £165 so what would you expect!

Would I have bought this for £165. Erm, yes actually! As a project to work on in spare time as a new hobby.

The one month MOT may be a worry. It looks an old shed from the photo.

You do realise it isn't a Diesel, don't you? ;o)
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Jonathan {p}
Ha ha £165 for six nice pieces of pottery and a green lump to carry them in ;-)

Or were you hoping that someone else here would outbid you at the last minute.

Good luck

Jonathan
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Jonathan {p}
wth...?

I definately saw 6 pices of pottery in the bottom picture below the pics of the moggie but they have now disappeared.

Sorry if my last post doesn't make sense now

Jonathan
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - looking4car
To the untrained eye it looks and sounds worth the money as long as you can get it home without too much hassle and before MOT runs out.
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - L'escargot
Nice little car ~ I passed my test in one in 1957. But be prepared for some spartan leisurely travel ~ small cars in those days were not very powerful, and a lot of the available power was wasted overcoming poor aerodynamics and other friction sources, and they didn't have the gizmos that you get on a modern car.

But chacun a son gout, as they say in France.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Clariman - yes, that's the one. And yes, maryannebarnes isn't my weekend name, it is my better half. Who, incidentally is taking this all very well so far. I've tried to avoid conflict by claiming it's a present for her - that met with a "flowers would have done".....

Hugo - Haynes Manual? Yes please! If it doesn't go give me a shout.

I've organised the transportation - a 2003 Landrover LWB with a big trailer.

So, all I need to do is sort out insurance and I'm laughing! Well, a nervous giggle anyway....
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - nick
I suggest you join the Morris Minor Owners Club. It's good source of info and lots of ads from parts suppliers and members, also a good website. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how cheap stuff is. If you do a search in this forum you should find a thread on running a minor. For this money though, I'd be very surprised if it didn't need major surgery soon. The panels are all available and cheap but labour costs if you can't do it yourself. If it needs a lot of work it'll cost more than the car is worth with the repairs done. If you live within striking distance of Ely, I can recommend a guy who works on nothing but minors at a reasonable cost and with excellent workmanship. I'm taking one of mine to him soon for some body repairs even though it is a 3 hour drive.
I find Footman James cheapest for classic insurance but best to ring around. My premium is £77 fully comp, agreed value, unlimited mileage. I recently bought a Rover 3500S and they put this on the same policy for under £20!
Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Rob the Bus {P}
>>If you do a search in this forum you should find a thread on >>running a minor.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=11319&...f

I never did buy one...

Never mind, I should be able to have a go in DieselBoy's, if I ask him nicely enough!

Cheers

Rob
Thanks, insurance now sorted for £79.80 through Footman James.

I'm actually looking forward to this now!
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Hugo {P}
Hi Dieselboy

Sorry that Haynes Manual has gone. I may have another though, Failing that I can highly recommend E Bay, they go for peanuts on there!

..as do Morris Minors!

Hugo
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - borasport20
Dieselboy - have fun.

look for any colleges in your area offering nightschool classes in car maintenance, or ever better, car restoration - more often than not, there is little teaching as such, just a load of petrolheads given access to professional tools, ramps, mot gear, paint booths, etc etc, swapping advice with a professional on hand if need be

mmm... 100 mile commute from Southport - if that takes you to Manchester, and the moggie is up to it, North Trafford college used to run 'Classic Car restoration' every wednesday night.

Bora - what Bora ?
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - El Hacko
This post and the subsequent replies wld make perfect case study to show the value of this site - an interesting topic, a wide range of useful advice and served up with some great humour.
Guess I'm preaching to the converted, but what the hell
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Pugugly {P}
How's that for an idea then ? A "Projects Room" were the Moggie Project could be followed.- plenty of scope for Ads. (Haynes, Autosol etc etc)
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - Stuartli
I too live in Southport and my first car was a 1960 Morris 1000, aquired in 1964 with 19,000 miles on the clock; it had been owned by two old ladies in Blackpool.

A superb little car and one whose memories I still fondly cherish. It even took me on my honeymoon around some of the most inaccessible parts of Wales without problems and, indeed, all over the UK.

Its roadholding was quite outstanding and the only real problem I had was to ensure that the SU fuel pump contact points were kept squeaky clean and flat.

Keying in Morris Minor into www.google.co.uk will bring up a massive quantity of info on the Minor, whether it's for parts or how to...
Morris Minor - What have I done??! - THe Growler
Stuartli's observations square with mine. My mate used to run a 1959 Minor Van year after year and took it for camping trips all around West and (then) E. Europe. He and his girlfriend used to sleep in the back. It would cruise all day at 70 mph. Nothing wrong with the roadholding or braking. Everything was fixable on the kitchen table, and as I recall, frequently was!

As for the SU fuel pump, John simply used to bash it with a tyre lever if it refused to make the needed clicking noises!
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - borasport20
or is he sat in a layby, weeping quietly to himself ?

Bora - what Bora ?
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - No Do$h
Yeah, bit of a risk towing it with a landrover. We all know about their reliability.

;o)

Hugo, please note that the above was firmly tongue in cheek. I have no desire to be visited by the Cornish Pixie mafia in a Discovery......
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - Wee Willie Winkie
Hahahahahhahha!!!!

Keep an eye out this Saturday and give us a honk when you go past. Better still, call the AA!

I've got more confidence (albeit misguided) in the Defender than the Moggie....
Sorry DB, I seem to remember the ad said you had to take the moggie away within a week, so I assumed you were away picking it up last weekend.

If your picking it up this weekend, when will you be back ? Sunday afternoon ? I'll stand on the bridge before J26 of the M6 and throw lumps of ready-to-set body filler at the bottom of your doors.

Have fun with the motor anyway - if you can keep it on the road when the mot is due, you'll have had more than your 160 quid's worth, and driving something that slow with skinny tyres and no brake servo can only be educational !

Thankfully it is still not illegal to have fun in a car !

Bora - what Bora ?
borasport20 - if you stand on the bridge at about 5pm on Saturday you should see us. Rather than body filler, can you not chuck a couple of new doors over?!
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - Another John H
The doors are likely to be the least of your worries: there are some for sale in the back of the current "Minor Matters" (MMOC magazine), and they just bolt on.

The structural parts of the bodywork are the death of them as it becomes uneconomic to have somebody else replace the floor, the rear inner wings, and front chassis legs, etc...
But, all the parts are available, and there's a book by Lidsay Porter:
"The Guide to purchase and DIY restoration Morris Minor & 1000"
ISBN 0854294422
which really does show all the gory details of turning several cwt. of rusting metal back into a Morris 1000 again, if you've the space, time, skill, and some money.

Take care, and enjoy.

John H
Rather than body filler,
can you not chuck a couple of new doors over?!

how about I stand on the inside of the roundabout at the M58 junction with a very large wire brush held at sill height and you go round and round - that would at least start to clean up the o/s door.

I did a double take when I saw the Ebay piccie - looked identical to one my brother owned thirty years ago, reg no 'UKA 24' - wonder what the number would be worth these days.

Bora - what Bora ?
It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat in my garage, gracefully leaking oil, is my 1965 Moggie. It came with a load of bills, showing over four grand worth of work in 1992/3. Basically the whole of the underside seems to have been replaced, along with a reconditioned engine in 1993.

Here's the bad bit. It ran fine on Saturday when I drove about 15 miles, but now it's like a bag of spanners. I think I might have shaken up some old petrol and mixed it with rubbish in the tank. Result, lots of soot and a jerky, jerky ride. I'm going to give it the Redex treatment on Saturday.

So there you go, I'm now the owner. Relatives think I'm mad - girlfriend isn't that impressed with her "present", especially as the insurance doesn't allow her to drive it!
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - nick
If the underside is good it sounds like you have a bargain. Don't worry about the mechanicals. Secondhand bits are plentiful and cheap. I've just bought one for breaking with an excellent engine and drive train, 3 good wings and tyres for £100. It's woth buying the factory manual and parts book, both available from the club, but a Haynes is handy too. I may have a spare Haynes or other manual handy. If I have, you can have it for what it costs to post. Let me know if you're interested.
Oh, and look on the oil leak as free rustproofing!
nick - that sounds good, thank you. e-mail is maryanneandsteve \"at\" tesco \"dot\" net
if you find anything.

I was very encouraged with all the work that was done in the early nineties - it\'s going for an MOT in the next week, so I guess we\'ll see then.

Cheers.
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - No Do$h
May I respectfully point Master Diesel in the direction of

www.haynes.co.uk/HonestJohn/HJ_bookshop_07.htm

Where you will find a moggy book of fine heritage......
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - Pugugly {P}
I have an original owner's manual for one of these - somewhere (!) If I find it would you wnat it ?
Thanks, but I found the owners manual in the glovebox (no gloves though).

Quite looking forward to Saturday to see how it goes after the engine treatment....
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - Stuartli
How did it go - or otherwise?

Like Borasport2.0 I also now have a Bora; it followed a 1.3 four-speed and 1.6TX Jettas.

Both superbly reliable. The 1989 1.3 had 66,000 miles on the clock when I bought it and the 1990 big bumper 1.6TX 52,000 miles.

Neither used any oil nor spilled a drop in between services.

The only reason I got rid of the TX was because the Bora came into the hands of a car dealer friend of mine and he let me have it at a stupid price - 50 per cent below that of a franchised dealer for the same 1.6SE 2000 year specification and just 46,000 on the clock.

It was even in the right colour, reflex silver. Meanwhile the silver TX is still knocking around town, having been acquired by a 20ish year old bloke; he got a bargain as well as a mass of service history.

Did you see the recent TV car programme about how good the Morris Minor was to learn to drive in and practice power drifts on roundabouts?

I used to go out in the winter onto the town's sea wall, get up to about 40mph and spin the steering wheel.

The Minor then needed just one flick of the wrist to straighten out again...
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - topaktas
Just as well, really: they weren't much good in the sea. And by the way, didn't Minors have a habit of losing their front wheels - I seem to remember that this happened at slow speeds on max lock.
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - nick
Only if you didn't grease the trunnions. Like many 'problems' with older cars it was down to lack of maintenance.
anybody seen DieselBoy ? - Pugugly {P}
"Did you see the recent TV car programme about how good the Morris Minor was to learn to drive in and practice power drifts on roundabouts?"

BMWs do this (when there is no-one about to witness shut non-BMW owner type stuff). DSisconnect all the nanny stuff and let rip. Admitedly the 3 was better than the 5 but its still fun !

(Fireball that's another joke btw)
Moggie Minor Update! - Wee Willie Winkie
In case anyone is interested, I no longer own the Morris Minor I bought off e-bay! When giving it an honest appraisal, I realised that I had neither the time or the technical know-how to restore it to it's former glory, so.....

... I sold it on e-bay, for a loss!

But!

I am now the proud owner of a 1973 MG Midget 1275cc RWA. Okay, it cost a lot more the the Moggie, but what a car! Just spent a fair amount of money getting stuff done that was needed, but it's worth it.

RtB and HF approve anyway!
Moggie Minor Update! - Anglesey Ian

....I trust that you did the decent thing and greased your trunions before selling it on DB

Regards, AI