98 rover 416 at 118k worth buying? - jeremyb
How does £1200 sound for a 98S Rover 416 Sli with 118k and a yearly service history? And how about £300 p/x for my 91J Rover 416 GTi with 186k and no service history?

Need advice quick!! Thanks.

98 rover 416 at 118k worth buying? - Blue {P}
You say yearly service history, does that mean at the mileage intervals, or just one service a year? At that age and mileage it should have had around 12 services minimum, as well as 2 or 3 cambelts I would have thought.

Doesn't sound too bad to me though for an S reg car assuming it's in good condition...

Blue
98 rover 416 at 118k worth buying? - No Do$h
Just remember that parts for the 95- 400 are not easy to find, but if you've been running a Rover for a while, you probably know that.

Will dig out a similar thread that will give you some specifics
Here you go. Somebody asked a similar question about a 95 414.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=10...2
98 rover 416 at 118k worth buying? - DavidHM
The price and the p/x both seem spot on to me.

As ever, when buying older cars, a cam belt change is a good idea unless you know it was done recently.

The other thing (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this will be powered by a 1.6 litre version of the K series engine, which is known for being prone to head gasket failure. Any sign of mayonnaise and you should run away very very fast.

Obviously you liked your old Rover enough to consider buying this one, and at this money, the car's not too expensive if it only lasts you two more years before you get rid. Assuming it's not saddled with major problems already, I'd say do it.
The other thing (correct me if I'm wrong) is that this
will be powered by a 1.6 litre version of the K
series engine

Unless it's the auto, in which case it may have the frankly ancient but reliable Honda engine from the ballade and civic circa 1989.