Peugeot 306 2.0D - nickd01
I hope this is the right place to ask this...

I'm looking for a used car under £7k to take me, the missus, bikes and junk up and down motorways at the weekend. It needs to be cheap to run, comfy on motorways, have ABS, Air Con and 5 doors. I've seen quite a few 306 2.0 Meridian's with about 35k - 45k on them at a Car Supermarket. Can anyone let me know if these diesel's are a bad/good buy? Or, the 1.8 petrols? Any experience / advice appreictaed. Thanks.
Peugeot 306 2.0D - No Do$h
Taken from Car-by-Car breakdown:

"1.8 8-valve XU petrol is the worst engine and many were fitted with the wrong ECU chip leading to failed emissions tests."

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

I don't have any personal experience of these (and you shouldn't trust me anyway, I drive an Alfa out of choice, paid for with my own money!) but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute.

May be worth your while to use the Forum Search (top right of your screen) to look for threads, especially in the Technical forum.

Peugeot 306 2.0D - spottydog
Sorry I can't help on the 1.8 or 2 litre models but I've had a 1.6 litre one for about 4 years now and have found it to be excellent in both town and motorway (even when loaded down with about 100kilo of scuba kit!).

The more recent 306's have 2 year service intervals which keeps the cost down and even though mine is 5 years old the most expensive thing I have needed doing is the breaks (and that's with it always being serviced by a main dealer).

The only real complaint I have is the rear mud flaps are very low and tend to scrape on the ground when you go over speed ramps (particularly when loaded up).

HTH

Anne
Peugeot 306 2.0D - nickd01
Perfect, it'll be lugging scuba gear as well! Is it quite economical on the motorways?
Peugeot 306 2.0D - spottydog
The 1.6 is reasonably economical. I can get from Essex to Penzance (350ish miles) on just over 3/4 of a tank of petrol with the air conditioning on some of the time and doing between 80 and 90 on the M4/M5.

The one thing I notice with my fuel gauge is the first half of the tank goes quite quickly but the second half takes forever plus filling it at half full costs a lot less than half of what it costs when the red light is on.

The dive kit includes 8 7 litre tanks plus about 30kg of lead between us (including spares) and all the usual other bits you need for a weekend away. We tend to keep the weightbelts under my passengers feet to reduce the amount of mud flap drag over speed ramps since there is a lot of them in my area.

Anne
Peugeot 306 2.0D - PhilW
And wouldn't a "2.0D" be the one with an HDi engine? If so it's a cracker of an engine!
Peugeot 306 2.0D - RichardW
Personally, I'd take the 7 grand a buy a Xantia (oh, but then I am biased!) - I had a look on Autotrader, and you could get a 2000X HDi 110 in the mileage range you were looking at. Bigger, more comfortable, will still do 45mpg + on the m-way, can be hustled along the country roads pretty well (but you can't keep up with an S2000 through the really twisty bits as I found out at the weekend!) but, crucially, if you cart lots of heavy gear about, comes with self levelling suspension - no more scraped mudflaps, lights shining at the stars etc.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot 306 2.0D - Dan G
I have found the opposite with the fuel gauge on my 306 D. I can do 400 miles from full to half full, then only a further 250 'til it's empty. It averages 49 mpg.

One thing I'd say about 306's is that I don't think they're built very well, and there seem to be a few back-roomers having problems. I used to find spares prices difficult to come to terms with until I discovered our local German, Swedish and French.
Peugeot 306 2.0D - Andrew-T
You will mean a 306 Meridian HDi 90. While I have owned my T-reg it has only gone from 18K to 30K, but I have nursed it back to good health so it will move when I ask it to, and I *can* get over 60mpg. Even with scuba gear you should manage 50.
Peugeot 306 2.0D - Ben79
How have you nursed your HDI back to health? My 52 plate C5 doesn't have exceptional fuel consumption round town or on the motorway.

Ben
Peugeot 306 2.0D - Andrew-T
Ben - When I bought the car I think it had been fairly idle for a while, though it had a full history. It gets new filter and semi-synth every 6K, and small doses of conditioner (~30ml) every couple of fills. Also took 1 cm of slack out of the accelerator cable, which improved response. Runs like a dream at the moment (new oil) - can only just hear the motor running (from inside!)