Used 'new' Range Rovers - mark ansell
I am shortly about to look for an early 'new' Range Rover manual diesel to replace my company car. The reason for this is to tow a comparatively heavy, twin axle caravan (1350Kg) which we hope to upgrade to early next year. My budget will only run to dealer prices for an early 'm' 'n' reg Range Rover on which I can expect in the region of 60,000 upwards mileage.

I intend to purchase (cash) through a Landrover dealer and also have the Advanced AA Inspection carried out. However it is alot of money (circa £16,000) to spend on a high mileage vehicle, especially with the quality/reliability problems associated with these vehicles. What do you think? What sort of warranty would Landrover offer on a vehicle of this age? I have done my running cost calculations and maintenance is probably the only scary area.

I would go for am M Class 2.7 Mercedes with better residuals, but even next year the 99 models will be well outside my budget.

(I appreciate you can get younger Disco, Shogun etc. but they're not really the same class!)
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - Darcy Kitchin
Are you sure you wouldn't look at a Disco?

I was lucky enough to be invited out for a Land-Rover test day in Wolsingham earlier this year and I came away feeling underwhelmed by the Range Rover. There seems to be less room in the Range Rover and , having driven my neigbour's Disco V8, I think it's a nicer drive. Undoubtely the Disco is more family-friendly with a 7-seat option and more light in the cabin with the rooflights. I doubt that a 1350Kg with a load margin of eg 200kg would extend either vehicle.

What to the real experts think, good luck anyway.
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - Dave N
You may find the diesel gutless, even when not towing. Look at the power/torque figures, then compare to something like a Landcruiser VX that has a 'proper size' 4.2 TD engine.
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - fred smith
buy a new impreza (GL or whatever), and stay in hotels...

it'll be cheaper

and youll have more fun driving

and more comfy nights sleep

(c) stating the bleedin obvious 2001
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - Basil Brush
Caravanners are like caravans.

Nothing upstairs.

(c) Basil Brush 1976
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - John Slaughter
Mark

Whilst I'd agree with you that the RR is superior to a Disco in terms of interior space I'd agree with Fred - why buy one in the first place. The problem is that when your not towing the caravan your stuck with a large fuel inefficient vehicle with pretty roly-poly road manners. Also I think the diesel will struggle with a heavy caravan.

We ran an (admittedly) 'original' model for a year. Despite uprating the suspension, we just got fed up with the fuel consumption and the ropey handling. What worried me particularly was that it you were always driving to suit the handling, and there was no reserve if, say, you needed to avoid a car on the motorway swerving because of a tyre blow out. Never again.

Now, I believe that the newer 4x4's are better, but they will always be a compromise because the C of G is too high in the first place.

Regards

john
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - honest john
I go for Dave N and Clarkson's logic. Why buy a Range Rover od dubious reliability when you can buy a relatively bulletprood Landbruiser. Just make sure of its history.

HJ
Re: Used 'new' Range Rovers - richard turpin
Big engine. Forget diesel. Go for gas.