kangoo diesel - hogan1
i have a 1999 t 1.9 kangoo which has done 112k. when you put your foot down it hesitates for about 2 seconds then gos leaving a black cloud of smoke. ive changed the oil, air and fuel filter to no avail???
kangoo diesel - PhilW
Have you tried a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank?
kangoo diesel - Ian Cook
You might find this is something to do with an air temperature sensor in the air filter box. I have a 98 Kangoo diesel which did exactly the same thing.

I pulled the connector plug off the sensor and the problem was completely cured. No adverse effect on mpg and the van drives much smoother. It also passed its MOT smoke test OK too. I compared my Kangoo with a pal's 2000 model and notice that Renault have changed the design of the air filter box - perhaps they had a problem.

Ian Cook
kangoo diesel - hogan1
thanks, that seems to have done the trick,but whats it there for if it doesnt do anything?
kangoo diesel - DL
I thin Ian deserves a virtual beer there for that advice - spot on mate!

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
kangoo diesel - AndyT
I would hazard a guess that it is something to do with the injection timing/volume.
kangoo diesel - Aprilia
I would hazard a guess:

The temp sensor went faulty and the ECU thought the air temp was very cold - hence injecting more fuel.

Pulling the connector off puts ECU into 'limp home' mode and it assumes a default temp of, say, 15 degrees - so engine runs better.
I would buy a new temp sensor and refit the connector.
kangoo diesel - hogan1
ive replaced the air temp sender with a brand new one(genuine renault) and still no difference? is there such a thing as a diognostic computer for diesels? thanks
kangoo diesel - hogan1
would this be corrected at a cambelt change?
kangoo diesel - Ian Cook
Hello, hogan1 - sorry it's a long time getting back. That thing called work gets in the way.

As to what the temperature sensor is for, I have no idea. Mine has been disconnected for about 6 months now and everything's fine so I'm going to leave it "broke" instead of fixing it.

If I had to guess I'd say it's probably meant to control the rate of enrichment according to temperature, so that you can't put too much fuel in with a heavy right foot - but it has the opposite effect if it has failed.

You have to remember, it's a Renault.

Enjoy!

Ian Cook
kangoo diesel - Spanner Jack
Disconnecting the air temperature sensor also has the effect of raising the base RPM to 950 when idling.
The vehicle would normally idle at 800 rpm.

There is a diagnostic socket (16 pin EOBD) in the fuse box in the passenger footwell...
kangoo diesel - vudlrvudlr
Hello!
Your car is ald, first step you need cheack presure in side piston celinders. I think to used piston rings. If you would like know about write to my e-mail:andrpasyeka@yahoo.com ICQ 50074667
kangoo diesel - Xileno {P}
I would imagine the problem is fixed after three years.
kangoo diesel - hogan1
tried everything which was mentioned here ,never solved the problem, so i sold it last october !