Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad wear - Steve Morris
My Citroen Xantia HDi 110 bhp estate was bought in November 1999. At the first service I was told that the front brake pads would need replacing in 4000 miles - I had done 8300. I had the pads replaced at the service to save taking the car back later. At 14000 miles this week, the brake pad replacement light has come on, so it would appear I need another set of pads! At the first service, the dealer saw nothing strange in having to replace the pads so soon - despite a 12500 mile service interval on the car (my previous Xantia 2L petrol estate went for 3 years 3 months on the original brake pads). Has any other owner had a similar problem?
Re: Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad wear - Ian Cook
I don't know, Steve, but I'm going to check.

I've done 10K since I bought the car (secondhand and newly main dealer serviced) and no sign of a light yet, but that doesn't mean that there might not be a problem. A previous ZX had busted cables from the wear sensors in the pads (they just perished and gave up the ghost) so the light never would have come on.

Will post again if there's a problem.

Ian
Re: Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad wear - Andy Bairsto
when you have taken the car for a run out put your hand on the discs or wheel
hub if it is overduly hot then you have sticking pads ,this can be brought on by the brake sensor valve situated on the left front inner wing I thing .What happens it fails to release properly and allows the brakes to stay on there is one system for the rear and one for the front .I have had this twice on xms at first I thought I was imagining it but it gradually got worse.Tricky thing these french cars but I love them.
Re: Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad wear - honest john
The callipers could be sticking on the pins they slide on. The pins need cleaning, otherwise you will go through pads and discs fairly rapidly.

HJ
Re: Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad wear - David Woollard
Two issues here Steve.

First Xantias are known to eat front brake pads, sometimes shortly followed by their discs.

The "problem" is that the weight and grip bias on modern FWD cars is such that the front brakes do most of the work. This factor is increased on the Xantia because they have a crafty way of providing rear brake effort based on the loading (and therefore hydraulic pressure) of the rear suspension. This gives more accurate control than some of the load-proportion or anti-lock valves on conventional systems.

What it does mean is that in a "driver only" car the front pads are doing all the stopping. Add to this the fact that the Xantia system is fully powered, not just servo assisted, and you have a capable system that will go through front pads quickly.

The second issue is these daft extended service intervals. We have talked many times here (HJ Forum) about the need to bring the oil changes back to 6000 miles if you want a long life from the engine. But there is also the point about all the other items such as brake pads that are checked at a service.

If you take in a car for service at 6000 intervals and see the pads are well worn it is possible to make a reasonable assumption on the chance of the linings lasting to the next interval. With a 12000 mile schedule, if you are to avoid the customer being troubled by an interim visit, it is really crystal ball stuff to look that far in the future. So, as you have just found, the best advice is to say change the pads early. In doing so you may have wasted 50% of their wear life and this is directly a result of over extended service intervals.

David