Timing belt change - water pump stuck - andrew4
I have a VW golf 1300 Mk2.

I am in the process of changing my timing belt.

The water pump is used to tension the timing belt. I have loosened the three bolts holding it to the engine but the water pump will not turn around to reduce the tension.

I have used a screwdriver as standard. Is this problem common and how do I rectify it?
Timing belt change - water pump stuck - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Yes it is a common problem. You could try soaking the joint with diesel or plusgas and leaving it overnight but the pump corrodes into the block which is why it wont rotate. Whenever I quote to change the belt on these engines or the smaller vauxhall engines I factor in the cost of a pump as often the only way to shift it is to destroy it.(Once with a gas axe!!!)
You may be able to drive it out without damaging it if you have the time but it is going to need a new O ring to seal it. Oh and plaster the new pump with vaseline or copperslip to stop it happening again!
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Timing belt change - water pump stuck - none
Lots of Pedants watching, so I'm not suggesting this tip.
If the water pump isn't leaking yet - as it probably will if you move it - retighten. Take off the camshaft pulley and fit the new belt. It's a bit of a fiddle refitting the pulley and belt together, but a lot easier than replacing a water pump.
With any luck the belt tension will be within limits. (usually is). Recheck the timing before starting.
Timing belt change - water pump stuck - Robert Fleming
If the water pump is original - which it sounds like - you ought to change it too. For less than 20 quid you get a new water pump and a cambelt tensioner in one!
Timing belt change - water pump stuck - andrew4
How do I drive out the original water pump?

Do I have to remove the camshaft sprocket in order to remove the timing belt back cover?
Timing belt change - water pump stuck - DL
1 - A big hammer and a drift usually work!

2 - Yes, you will need to remove the sprocket in order to remove the backplate.

groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....