Cambelt tensioners - Vauxhall - prm
I recently had my belt,idlers & tensioner changed on my Vectra (yes I know but I\'ve had this car 2 years and its been great, really ) I know Vx had lots of problems with the tensioners supposedly being plastic, but I noticed that the new tensioner was metal, is this an update or were they all like this originaly. I also saw that the idlers were still plastic.
Cambelt tensioners - Vauxhall - DL
Was a VX tensioner 'kit' fitted? If so, then all can be considered as OK

I'm sure you'll be fine - I'm not sure on the actual construction of the tensioner rollers - I thought even the modified ones contained some plastic? I could be wrong though! Not really a Vx expert...
Cambelt tensioners - Vauxhall - prm
Thanks DL, Yes it was a kit that was fitted, but not a Vx one, this one was by Optibelt who going by their website seem to be a large company and apparently supply Mercedes. The supplier of the kit assured me these were top quality and going by the horror stories of some vx supplied belts etc, these may be an improvement ( I hope )?
From that, I would say you have nothing to worry about.
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Cambelt tensioners - Vauxhall - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I had a problem at the end of last year when the plastic tensioner let go after 5000 miles. This was a GM supplied unit. The replacement tensioner was surprise, surprise all-metal!!
I suppose I should have persued a claim with GM but the customer refused to let the local GM dealer near her car(!). The dealer of course said that they would need to have the car in to conduct an investigation so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. As it was the customer was back on the road within 10 days with 16 new valves, 8 guides and a brand new belt kit (with metal tensioner!). Hole in my pocket after claiming on my public liability insurance £600.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!!
Hmmmmm I think I would have pushed her to persue the claim - but as you say it may well have been a protracted issue....costing more in the long run.

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....