Plastic trim - jon_s
Morning all,

My 1998 car is starting to look a little tired now - in particular the plastic trim. It has quite a few plastic bodywork components, including door handles, bumper inserts, wheelarch trims, skirts etc. These are all becoming faded and generally making the car look tatty. In the past (long time ago) I used to use Armorall, but find it is messy to use, doesn't last very long and causes streaking on the paintwork if it rains. Therefore any recommendations regarding an alternative would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon
Plastic trim - Ppaul
Try Autoglym's trim/plastic renovator (sorry I can't remember the correct name for it).

It's very effective.
Plastic trim - Victorbox
Autoglym Bumper Care gel topped up with occasional use of Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care liquid is a good alternative, although I still think Armorall applied with a paintbrush is fantastic on tyres and inside the car. Leather it down with a damp cloth inside the car to reduce the glare after it has dried. If you hate shiny dashboards always think twice about these sort of product inside the car. Whatever you use outside the car it will wash off in 6 to 8 weeks - quicker if there is lots of rain and it still streaks the paintwork a bit until the next car wash.
Plastic trim - Ivor E Tower
I've used Simoniz Back to Black on external plastic and prefer it to Autoglym's similar product.
Internally I use Autoglym's spray-on interior shampoo cleaner - just spray on and wipe off. It does a good job in little time and minimal effort. Don't forget to wipe internal window surfaces clean too, just a damp chamois (real or synthetic) is sufficient if you do it every few weeks.
Plastic trim - Sooty Tailpipes
My favourite is "Halfords Exterior Trim Treatment £3.49"
It is a blue bottle of a straw coloured clear liquid which smells, a bit like kerosene, you rub it over the plastic with a cloth, and it makes them look like new. Doesn't leave a slick glossy film that attracts dust or leaves watermarks, it just cleams them up, removing polish residue etc.. and leaves a transparent dry film that enhances the look.

A bottle goes a long way too.

I would avoid ones with silicone oil in them, its very bad for the skin, attracts dust, and accelerates bleaching of plastic. It also rots rubber.
Plastic trim - Mondaywoe
I bought a can of Simoniz 'Back to Black' a month or so ago. I works very well - pricey, though. In the past I've used plain old WD40 - surprisingly effective and doesn't leave any residue.

Graeme