Golf II Warm Air Deflector and clutch. - Silver Champion
Hi,

Well I bought the A registered 1.6 golf - got it quite a bit cheaper in the end then the dealer originally said - but I reckon he is still laughing! (For anybody who read my earlier posting)

I got it delivered yesterday and had my first chance to have a really good look at it. Noticed a few things, but mainly that my Warm Air Deflector plate was no more. It has just disappeared. I have the Air Hose going from the Air Cleaner Vacuum Unit just hanging in thin air! I have looked into how much they cost (£2.22 from GSF), but can't for the life of me work out where it is supposed to go on the manifold. Can anyone shed any light?

Also I need to adjust the clutch which is currently engaging right at the top of the pedal. I have found the clutch manual adjustment section in Haynes, but this is where I start to get a bit confused. It says that I am supposed unscrew the outer sleeve bolt and then turn the serrated disc, push the clutch a few times and tighten up the bolt again.

When I look at it from above I have the clutch cable going into a white plastic sleeve above the gear box, which has a bolt coming from it and going into the white serrated disc. I presume this is the bolt that I am supposed to undo? I have tried loosening it, but just worried that something will go ping, can somebody please confirm that I am doing the correct thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1984 1.6 GL, I believe the gearbox is a 020.

Thanks
Stu
Golf II Warm Air Deflector and clutch. - Kuang
IIRC, there are just three locator screws on the top of the manifold (2 top/sides and one centre bottom) and it fixes to those. When it's attached, it follows the line of the front of the manifold neatly. That was the way it worked on the 1.3 though, so I'm not sure if that changed for the bigger lump.
Golf II Warm Air Deflector and clutch. - Kuang
Update: Doh! Actually, they're not screws, but nuts that fasten to underlying bolts extending from the manifold itself. Not sure if these have been removed on yours, or if the manifold isn't the original?..