Fuel Filter on Back to Front! - Cavalier - Jono_99
Quick story...

Have had a \'95 16V Cavalier for 6 months that has on the whole been fine. Had some problems with air flow sensor (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=13...6), but this has not stopped it being a reliable (on the whole!), economical (40mpg) mile muncher.

This last week, the \'stuttering\' returned, this time on a trailing throttle, and it took a minute or two of pumping for the power to return. Happened again yesterday morning, so this morning, I swapped the fuel filter (struck me as something else worth doing, especially as it was 20k miles since it had been chnaged).

Anyway, and this is point of story, fuel filter on car was on back to front. Put in a new filter (with arrow pointing in direction of engine!), and on a couple of short journeys, it appears fine. Also, throttle response appears a little better (spent some time spraying WD40 around throttle body after purchase, as I felt pick up was a bit slow), which kind of makes sense. I tried blowing water through the old filter in each direction, and it takes a lot more puff to get it through the wrong way.

Question is, is the fuel pump likely to have suffered in 20k miles of pumping \'too hard\'?! Are there any other problems that this could have created during this time? And given that the fuel filter appeard fine (if back to front) is it worth keeping as a spare?

Assuming car continues to run fine, I shall be very pleased with my morning\'s labours...

Cheers

Jono
Fuel Filter on Back to Front! - Cavalier - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Hi Jono,

If the pump had been hurt it would probably be making unusual noises. A constant \'hum\' is normal - if the noise level and pitch is going up and down there may be a problem.

WD40 is not a particularly good cleaner for the throttle body. Use a carb/throttle body cleaner - \"Mega Power\" is THE BUSINESS if you can find a stockist.

No used filter is worth keeping as a spare !

Regards, Adam
Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble.
Fuel Filter on Back to Front! - Cavalier - Dynamic Dave
it was 20k miles since it had been changed.

>>
given that the fuel filter appeard fine (if back to front)
is it worth keeping as a spare?

Ditch it. Vaux recommend it to be changed every 18,000 miles anyway.