New Audi A3 Good Buy? - Jez
My friend is thinking about buying a new Audi A3 and I would be very grateful for any advice I can pass on to her. She has been offered an A3 2.0 Sport FSI for £19355 incl. met paint. If she signs before the end of this month she has been offered a further £1k discount and £1k trade in on her Peugot 306. Her 306 is Dec 1993, 1.6XT with only 16000 miles and is in excellent condition.
I would welcome any views on whether this is a good deal or not. The dealer has suggested that if she sold her car privately she could expect to get £2,500.
Also are there any positive/negative views on the new A3?

Thanks in advance.
New Audi A3 Good Buy? - DavidHM
The deal is excellent. I think £1000 is a very good trade in for a ten-year-old car; £2500 is highly unlikely in a private sale. Even though 306s are in demand, £1500 is the best a mint example could expect IMO. The £1000 discount is also generous on a new shape A3, so if she wants an A3 I'd say to go with this dealer.

However, if she is only driving 1,600 miles a year, is there any reason why she needs to spend close to £20k on a car when she could get a Focus, Corolla, etc., for little more than half that, even with a pretty powerful engine. Another car that springs to mind is the Mégane Dynamique dci 120, for £11250 (the five door being cheaper than the three!)

www.ukcarbroker.co.uk has a Corolla T3 D4D 114 3 door (so masses of torque) that will last virtually forever for £11,900. It may not have the kudos of the A3 - and if she wants to spend that kind of money on a car this size, she may as well do so there - but realistically her needs could be met for far less.
New Audi A3 Good Buy? - Jez
Thanks for the advice and suggestions - I'll pass this on..!