Citroen Xsara Central Locking - brownie
I have read a fairly recent thread which details problems with Central Locking on 206's and Xsaras...but my problem is slightly different. When trying to lock the doors with the remote control, all doors except the drivers door lock then immediately unlock...the drivers door doesnt move.

This problem however does not occur when using the key itself in the drivers door. I've tried recalibrating and a new battery in the control, but still the same. Could this simply be a sticky lock?
Citroen Xsara Central Locking - Ben79
I'd remove the door panel and see if anything is obstructing the linkages moving.

The panel is held on with 3 torq screws in the armrests, the speaker screws, about 6 pop studs around the lower half of the trim and clips downwards by the window.

My Xsara worked better with the panel removed, if that be the case, look at the inside of the door trim to look if there has been any contact.

Don't worry about peeling the sticky sheet from the door, just cut it and use duct tape to reseal.

Ben
On my 3rd Citroen. Saxo, Xsara, C5.
Sounds like sensible advice. Many Thanks
Citroen Xsara Central Locking - solara
The reason it is unlocking itself, is that the central locking unit thinks that one of the locks has not latched properly.
This could either be due to a faulty latch unit or a break in the wiring somewhere. Often this is caused by a jammmy gunged up detector switch in the latch.

I posted an article a few months ago ago on how to bypass this mechanism for a 306. Citroen probably share the same CL unit as Peugeot. So might be worth a try.

This bypassing mechanism should atleast allow you to identify the faulty latch unit.
The internal door buttons on the Xsara are different to the 306. I doubt the button sticking would be the problem on the Xsara.
Trouble is, what I still dont really understand is why the Central locking works fine with the key, but not the remote?
The remote works a motor, the key works the lock and then the motors operate the other doors.

If you listen carefully on the Xsara, you will hear the door with the key in it unlock a split second before the other door motors.

Check if you have the same locking problem when you use the key in the passenger door.

I'd also try putting the spare key in the drivers door and then use the remote control. That could indicate a stiffness in the lock.

Most people don't recommend just using WD40 in door locks, but to top the keyhole off with white grease (Halfords sell it in aerosols, it is like spray on lard). The white grease will give long term lubrication and water resistance.

The best way I found to fix the Xsara locks was to experiment with them. I added rubber bands to add or remove resistance from the mechanisms.

But if the car is in warranty, insist that the dealer tries to fix it. Note if the refusing to lock is worse in the hot or cold, damp or dry etc.

Best of luck
Ben
Citroen Xsara Central Locking - The Chilled Coder
I had the same problem.
It wasn't the latch detection (if the door isn't latched, no doors will lock on the Xsara).

Turned out it was broken wires in the plug that connects the electrics to the door.
You'll either find that the contacts have become corroded, or more likely that if you pull back the rubber housing around the plug there is corrosion or split wires going into the back of the plug.

I had the same problem except the door would lock, but wouldn't unlock. Also the speaker in that door failed.
I stripped back the wires and soldered them together : Problem solved.

(Thanks to my colleague BART who knows everything about everything)
Citroen Xsara Central Locking - seanjones

Hi, I have a citroen xsara lx 2001. I don't have a central locking key with button. I rely on the key for central locking. When the key is used in the driver side door it only locks the driver door. When used in the passenger side door it locks all of the doors, but immediately unlocks them again. Also the boot does not unlock so I am unable to open it which is a pain in the backside. I managed to get the boot open once, and found that the catch is not releasing to open the boot when using the key. What can I do? Please help, I have no knowledge of cars and I don't like having to leave it open overnight as I cannot lock it. Please help. Many thanks.