Clever idea. - Ian (Cape Town)
A while back, we had a thread about 'things to keep in the car'.
Rather than regurgitate that one, I thought I'd post this, as it seems good advice to me...
It comes from a local site, where people asked "is it safe to put XXX oil in my car when it needs a top up?"
Here's one answer:

Photocopy the relevant pages of the owners manual. Tyre pressures (laden and unladen); approved oil types, approved power steering fluids, approved clutch fluid. ALSO the fusebox layout. Make it up on ONE sheet, using front and back, laminate, keep handy in car.
This saves you a***ing about trying to find the relevant page in the manual when it's dark, or your hands are covered in oil, or the wind is blowing etc etc etc.

Clever idea. - No Do$h
Toyota used to have a label inside the filler cap cover with the appropriate tyre pressures for the car, laden and unladen. Still may have for all I know. Now why the flumpin' blip can't ideas like that spread through the industry in the same way as "ideas" like the Signum?
Clever idea. - Welliesorter
Toyota used to have a label inside the filler cap cover
with the appropriate tyre pressures for the car...

My (newish) Fabia has this. It's actually quite confusing because it gives the figures for every engine in the range, including some that I don't think are sold in the UK. Equally confusingly, it has power outputs and pressures only in metric units.
Clever idea. - GJD
My ZX has a label on the inside frame of the driver's door with laden and unladen tyre pressures. Even handier than inside the filler cap ;-)
Clever idea. - Flat in Fifth
My (newish) Fabia has this. It's actually quite confusing because it
gives the figures for every engine in the range, including some
that I don't think are sold in the UK. Equally confusingly,
it has power outputs and pressures only in metric units.

Welliesorter,

I thought this was the only place you find this info. Had a hell of a job finding the tyre pressures on Mrs Fif's fab Fabia till discovered the info on the inside of the filler flap.

Must admit the idea presented by Ian is a cracker!

Just wait till I get home, just got to find a laminator!
Clever idea. - nick
My 70's P6 Rover has a big label under the bonnet listing all the fluid capacities, etc. Why doesn't everyone still do this?
I thought this was the only place you find this info.
Had a hell of a job finding the tyre pressures on
Mrs Fif's fab Fabia till discovered the info on the inside
of the filler flap.

FiF

Indeed it is the only place (why?) and I wonder if the label will last as long as the car.

As I said I did find it confusing but by my calculations the correct pressure is somewhere in the low thirties Psi. Do you happen to know if I'm right?

Clever idea. - Flat in Fifth
As I said I did find it confusing but by my
calculations the correct pressure is somewhere in the low thirties Psi. Do you happen to know if I'm right?

welliesorter,

I am away from home right now so can't take a look at the recommended pressures, which is why I'm going to make a chart per the tip at the top of the thread.

Does 2.2 bar sound about right? In that case this is 31.9 psi.

You can find useful conversion formulae and stuff like that on

www.engineersedge.com

specific one for pressure conversion is

www.engineersedge.com/calculators/pressure_convers...m

you won't find bars listed as such on this page you have to know that bars = megadynes per sq. cm.

Hope that helps,

FiF
Does 2.2 bar sound about right? In that case this is
31.9 psi.

That does sound about right. I have found conversion tables but these were aimed at divers and only provided a rough and ready conversion.

Thanks again, and apologies for hijacking a bit of this thread.

I keep meaning to take a photo of this label with my digital camera as it doesn't look very durable.
Clever idea. - Chas{P}
Ian

Great idea. Ford do actually have, on the back cover of their owners manuals, a space where you can fill in most of these details. I doubt anyone ever bothers to complete it though!

Charles
Clever idea. - Cliff Pope
It's also worth including the part reference numbers for consumables like belts, brake pads, oil filter, spark plugs etc.
Also write down the radio code somewhere.
Clever idea. - blank
Great idea. Ford do actually have, on the back cover of
their owners manuals, a space where you can fill in most
of these details. I doubt anyone ever bothers to complete it
though!

Oops, I have filled mine in. Does this make me ever-so-slightly anally retentive?!!

Andy
Clever idea. - A Dent{P}
About converters,
Here's a useful unit converter that will cover pressures, volumes, speed etc

www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

click on the download.
TTFN
Ford Handbook Back Covers - Chas{P}
Andy S

Phew, I thought I was the only one!!

Charles
Ford Handbook Back Covers - Ian (Cape Town)
hehe - MY handbook is still on the bookcase, along with the Haynes manual. ONE DAY I'm going to actually put them in the car, as opposed to saying "I must remember to put those in the car!"