My W Reg Vectra - top turkey
Thanks for the replies a few weeks ago about my post about purchasing a W reg Vectra 1.8SXi 16v.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15941 for anyone that\'s interested.

Collected it on Friday and thought you may like an update.

Compared to cars that I have driven before (Uno, Cavalier, Fiesta, Astra) it really is the best so far. The seats are really comfy for my back, having felt really uncomfortable in the Astra. Is superb on the motorway and relatively quiet in the cabin even when doing 75 ish. Has lots of pull from 60 too.

I don\'t think that it deserves the negative press and publicity that the car has attracted, but perhaps I would have a different view if I came from a background of driving BMWs, Mercs, Lexus etc....

Which leads to the question..... isn\'t it all relative?

Cheers.

TT.
My W Reg Vectra - Burnout2
Yes it is relative. The Vectra never aroused any strong emotions whenever I?ve driven one ? solid, comfortable utility cars which do the job. A bit stodgy, yes, but hardly the dynamic travesty that some claimed. I think their unforgivable crime in the eyes of the motoring press was to be so unremarkable.

Still not a bad choice for high mileage work; people seem to have forgotten that it set new standards for repmobile motorway refinement back in '95. GM's engines have always been a strength. It was also pretty well sorted by 2000.

Enjoy the car.
My W Reg Vectra - Arfur
I've had 5 of the current model now as hire cars and have found them all smooth quiet and comfortable. Couldn't ask for much more in a long distance car. Never quite know what the hire company will deliver but I've been more than happy when I've been given a Vectra. I think the motoring press are sometimes a little too obsessed with cars then can thrash round a track and rather miss the type of cars we'd like to drive. Dull to look at though. The style of the Signum seems a little more successful
My W Reg Vectra - nick
Reckon it is, TT. There's also a lot of badge snobbery out there too. I've never been a fan of the Vectra but it does the job, if you're happy, who cares what others think?
My W Reg Vectra - PhilW
It's not just badge snobbery, but what you can afford. Yes, I'd love a flash BMW or Merc but I'll never have one - I don't earn enough. Doesn't mean i don't like the car I have and it doesn't mean it doesn't do the job I want it to --- and it doesn't mean I can't be proud of it!
My W Reg Vectra - MichaelR
I note that in your list of cars you've driven which have led you to deduce that your Vectra is nice, you've not actually tried any of the Vectra's rivals.

Had you tried cars like the Mondeo, you'd know what everyone was talking about. The Vectra isn't an inherently BAD car, it's just most of the other cars in its class do most of the things it does, only better..

Did you really not try any other similar cars before you parted with your hard earned?
My W Reg Vectra - top turkey
Neither my wife or I are too keen on the older style Mondeo, and the Ford dealers near to where I live are not too impresive.

I had a Ford Mondeo (new shape) as a hire car once, and really liked it. However, it was out of our price range this time around (6k - 7k) with the kind of warranty and mileage we were after.

The Network Q guarentee is something that swayed us towards another Vauxhall, having had recourse to use it on our previous Astra with no quibbles from VX.

For our budget and lifestyle we are really pleased with it, but of course, if money was no object it would perhaps be further down the wish list.

Cheers.
My W Reg Vectra - T Lucas
I think that sums the Vectra up,its not a bad car,but compared to its rivals it is a best very average.
I rented a Vectra 2.2 Elegance in August,only did about 400 miles and was really quite underwhelmed with it.
Good points,Very quite at cruising speeds.
Cold a/c.
Lots of interior storage areas.
Reasonable interior space.
Err,thats about it.
Not so good,Boomy engine under acceleration.
No climate control.
Boot was too big,could have used space inside car.
Interior colours/design very grey and uninspiring.
Those self cancelling indicators.
Poor handling/control on bumpy,windy roads.
Confusing remote locking system.
None of the above makes it a bad car,but would you buy one new,especially with Vauxhall dealers record,and especially when compared with rivals.
Just a very average car.