Omega Elite. Oil in water tank!!?? - salsero
hi all,
please i am in need of urgent help!!
i found yellow sludge in the water cooler expansion tank. could it be, god forbid, blown head gasket? or is it just a hole in the oil cooler?

cheers
Omega Elite. Oil in water tank!!?? - DL
Could be either.....but I\'m not familiar with the engine.
apparently there're two oil coolers in my Omega. one sits between engine banks, and another linked to the radiator. any ideas which one could've caused this problem???
Either one, I guess......sorry I cannot be more specific
Ah, do you have an automatic transmission? If so, the oil cooler in the radiator will be a transmission oil cooler.
Omega Elite. Oil in water tank!!?? - Aprilia
Hard to say for certain without checking.

If you have water in the engine oil ('mayo') then it could be oil cooler or head gasket failure.

If there is water contamination of the transmission fluid then it is a radiator/transmission cooler failure.

Either way, I would get it sorted quickly. Antifreeze causes breakdown of the oil's lubricating properties.....
thanx aprilia & DL
yes i do have automatic transmission.
i checked engine oil, dipstick and cap, no problem still pure. i went for a drive last night, after 30 mins temp gague went up 100, opened the bonnet and smelled brnning transmission oil. any clues.
cheers
Omega Elite. Oil in water tank!!?? - SpamCan61 {P}
Must admit sludge in expansion tank + rapid overheating sounds like head gasket to me. Suggest you have a look over on the Yahoo 'omega owners' group; as this is a fairly common subject of discussion over there.
Omega Elite. Oil in water tank!!?? - Ian J
I assume you have a V6 petrol. I had to replace the oil cooler on my 2.5V6. Symptons lots of yellow sludge in water expansion header tank from oil mixing with water, engine using oil, overheating due to oil blocking radiator. A good clue that it is the oil cooler is the volume of oil in the water.
In my case I checked compression and found it to be ok, prior to proceeding to replace oil cooler.
The oil cooler sits at the base of the V on the 2.5 - I assume the 3.0 is the same- and is fairly inaccessible. You have to remove the inlet manifold
If you look back to previous posts there is lots of info and help on this subject.
Hope this helps.
hi all,

Finally had oil cooler replaced, seemed to \'ve done the trick. cost: £235 cooler £150 labour. I am taking the car 4 a long spin 2morw, and will update. wish me luck as this car burnt a crater in me pocket.

Omega Elite. Oil in water tank!!?? - smokie
Good Luck!

I reckon you might have cracked it, I just remembered this old thread...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=82...3

which has a familair ring
good news!!!

no more mixing, no more overheating. it was the oil cooler after all. must say was a pig of a job. hope it lasts for a long time, as i cant afford this car anymore.

thanx a million for all your help and support. you guys r great.