Can I reject a car over paintwork? - andy76
Took delivery of a NEW Renault(!) Megane 2 weeks ago.
At the time of delivery I pointed out various paint defects - rough paint, chips (badly repaired by the dealer) and a dent.
There was ebvious evidence on one door of pre-delivery damage and repair that also had to be put right.
I initially started to say I wished to reject the car but after talking it through (I know the dealer) I agreed to allow them to try and put it all right.
I had the car back yesterday, and while most of what was originally wrong is acceptable now, I have since found some more patches of rough paint - it appears to be overspray as the light lenses near to the paint work also have a rough finish in patches and you can see a thin film over them.
I also noticed that the door appertures are badly finished off, with little paint in some areas, roughness and some bubbling - which I was told was body sealant!
There are also still a couple of small areas where there seems to be something in or on the paint.

While these things are not initially obvious this is a brand new car and I have always taken great pride in the way my cars look.

If they ask to put it right again do I HAVE to accept that?
Can I reject the car on these grounds? It is not unsafe or undrivable but is not up to the quality of what I would expect from a new car. I had two MCC Smarts prior to this Renault and they were immaculate.

The car was bought on finance (Renault Selections).
There was also a p/x on finance which they took in and cleared the finance on.

Andy.
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - Obsolete
I would reject it as it is not satisfactory. I don't know what the legal position is though.
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - Hugo {P}
Suggest you compile a list of defects and submit them to the Dealer Principle by Special Delivery.

Advise them that you expect these issues to be resolved in full next time the car is taken in and make sure the Service Manager has a copy of your list.

When you come to collect the car, ask to see the dealer principle and have him accompany you during a receipt inspection on the dealer premesis.

If there is ONE item that is not right - do not accept it until it has been put right.

I worked for a dealership once where the PDI service was practically non existant. We had several deliveres refused by customers, who quite rightly were not satisfied with the delivered state of the car.

Once I delivered a car to a customer which was missing all the extras he had asked for. I took it back and re delivered it. He then told me that there were still extras missing. I offered to take it back and get it sorted personally. He accepted. On return I had a quiet word with the sales manager concerning the embarresment factor. He spoke to the right people in the right way, and as a result the car was delivered correctly the same day.

It's not difficult to address customer service issus correctly, just some people can't be bothered.

H
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - T Lucas
If you are not sure or confident of what you are looking at pay the AA for an inspection and report.If the AA say that there are defects and the car is not in an acceptable 'new'condition you will be in a very strong position.
The motor trade does not like to argue with the 'experts'from the AA.
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - DL
I like the way in which you put 'Experts' from the AA in inverted commas!!!!

I think I know here you are coming from.
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - T Lucas
No axe to grind but when it comes to it there are not many people that will have the percieved expertise and reliability of the AA.
Many times i have advised people to have the AA check bodywork repairs done on their insurance b4 collecting the vehicle,not once has the AA deemed the repairs acceptable,and everytime the bodyshops have had to do the repair properly.
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - Vansboy
On Mrs Vansboys new Mx5, she had written on the order form that the vehcle would not have been subject to 'any paint or bodywork rectification'.

After taking delivery, scratches were found & someone had tried to polish them out, not very well.

She could have rejected the car, but chose to keep it, as it was a limited edition (how rare for an Mx5!!) with her choice of £2000 extras & a very good deal. She will be getting a generous amount refunded & a couple of free services, so all are happy.

If your model car is readily available, try & push for an exchage.

VB
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - flatfour
I'd take it straight back and reject it, why should you have to accept a damaged product, this is different from faulty, you have bought a new car, not onr that has been in an accident if it is in a container ship or on the back car park of your dealer.
Can I reject a car over paintwork? - Grouchy

Yesterday I took delivery of a new VW Polo, it had 9.1 miles on the clock. When I did the walk around inspection nothing appeared to be amiss and as it was starting to rain I needed to get out of inside fairly quickly.

After driving the car home in driving rain from Hedge End to Christchurch, some 35 miles along the M27 and picking my wife up on the way, I parked it overnight on my driveway. ( I never put a car in the garage when it is wet). This morning I decided to wash it while the weather was mostly dry and put it away.

Yep, you've guessed it, I found damage on the door and rear bumper. It looked to my untrained eye as if someone had knocked the drivers door with another door and the bumper damage as if it had been backed into something or been driven into.

Of course I phoned the dealer and he denied 110% that it could possibly be their fault as 3 seperate people had inspected the car as it was prepared and, nothing had been noted.

For my part, I know that the car has not been anywhere other than on the road to my home and on my driveway overnight. I live in a very quiet cul de sac and there is no way anything could have hit it overnight.

It seems as though neither of us can actually prove it was the other party that had caused the damage, However, they seem to be expecting me to pay for the brand new car to be repaired and that is sticking in my craw.

Anyone have any ideas?

Can I reject a car over paintwork? - V4 Heaven

Buyer beware?

Can I reject a car over paintwork? - jamie745

Buying a new car it should be perfect. I'd tell them to shove it up their a*** sideways.

Can I reject a car over paintwork? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Unlikely to help achievment of the desired resuklt! Verbal abuse lowers the tone and isn't helpful, in such circumstances!

Can I reject a car over paintwork? - Armitage Shanks {p}

They'd probably tell you to leave their premises!That sort of attitude is not going to improve one's case or smooth any negotiations plus it is rude and can't be done either, unless it is a Matchbox car so why bother antagonising people? Has the approach ever worked for you? Most people don't conduct business like that, for obvious reasons..

Can I reject a car over paintwork? - jamie745

They'd probably tell you to leave their premises!

I'd be happy to do so as soon as they give me my money back.

Can I reject a car over paintwork? - barney100

Your misfortune is a good reminder to all of us to take as much time as needed to check a new car thoroughly before accepting it.