Cambelt Busters - budu
HJ is keen on chains for cam drives as belts, it seems, are liable to break. Are belt breakages down to anything in particular, such as hard driving? Are some cars known belt-busters? Where can I make a chain/belt comparison online for a prospective new purchase?
Cambelt Busters - A Dent{P}
Are belt breakages down to anything in particular, such as
hard driving?

I doubt it. Time and mileage are the killers
Are some cars known belt-busters? Where can I make a
chain/belt comparison online for a prospective new purchase?

Best bet is to decide what you what and read up the car by car breakdown. If you still what a particular car with cam belt drive phone a few franchise dealers and independants for replacement quotes. I think some French/Italian makes will give shocking quotes. Personally, if I bought a used car with a belt I would have it and the tensioner (most important apparently!)replaced immediately for peace of mind.
Mercs, Nissans and BMW use chains alot, some Vaux engines as well.
I dont know of any site that deals with this issue alone. Umm might go a searching now.Best of British.
Cambelt Busters - DL
Cars with cambelts (or associated components...) that go bad (In my experience)

Vauxhall Ecotec 16v engine...

Ford 1.8 Diesel

Some early VAG TDi engines (Belt edge wear)

erm......that's about it for now, can't think of any more (tired)

On the other hand, reliable cambelts.....

I have NEVER seen a cambelt failure of the Perkins MDi engine fitted to the Montego/Maestro of yesteryear.

Cambelt Busters - Hugo {P}
Why can't they just design engines that fail safe, just a few mm between the pistons and the valves would make all the difference!

I suppose it's fuel economy.

H
Cambelt Busters - DL
It\'s all down to engine design - diesel engines need a very tight squish band, therefore no room for error.

Valve overlap and the small sizes of the multiple valves leading to damage when things go wrong on a modern multi-valve petrol engine.

I have the result of a low speed (Diesel) cambelt failure at work for you to see, must remember to bring it home and photograph it....you\'ll be impressed.
Cambelt Busters - martint123
Mazda MX-5 - non-interference engine, no head/valve contact with a broken belt - just left stranded.

I guess two-stoke Wartbergs are safe as well??