Xantia 1.8i Cooling - Hugo {P}
Just a little problem I need to get around.

Stupidly let some air into the cooling system of this car and since then have found that the coolant overheated and the fan would not come on.

I refilled and think I have successfully expelled all the air out of the system, but the fan still shows no sign of cooperating.

Where is the fan thermostat on the car? how can I test the fan and what should I do?

H
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - M.M
Which places have you bled the air from Hugo? And what method did you use to get the coolant to flow from those points?

M.M
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - Mondaywoe
Best thing to do when filling a Xantia is to fit a temporary 'header tank' to the radiator - ie a plastic bottle or suchlike with a good seal to the top of the radiator. Then fill it well up with coolant (making the level higher than the top of the engine)Keep all the bleed screws open and close them one by one as the coolant flows (freely) from them. I think it also says in Haynes to run the car until the fan cuts in - that takes ages. Take off the tank and fit cap.

I seem to remember the coolant sensor was screwed into the radiator. Use a good anti-freeze such as Bluecol.

Graeme
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - M.M
Spot on Graeme.

It does take ages to get the cooling fan to operated doing this. What is most important is that the thermostat is allowed to open, this will usually dump an extra load of air round the system. If you don't go through the whole procedure and give up early this air will stay trapped with some potential problems ahead.

M.M
Thanks chaps

Just one question Graeme

Is the coolent sensor in the top or the bottom of the Rad, left or right?

H
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - RichardW
Hugo,

There will only be one sensor in the radiator with wires going to it. On the TD it's about 2/3 of the way up on the back of the driver's side of the rad. Don't know about the petrol ones though. Don't forget if you unscrew the sensor the water will run out and you will have to bleed the system again!

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - Mondaywoe
Sorry Hugo, can't quite remember - got C5 now you see! As Richard says, though, it will be the only thing screwed into the radiator with wires coming out!

Graeme
Thanks chaps.

I don't want to remove it but just test it.

My friend and I couldn't identify it the other day.

H
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - DL
Could you post a picture of your engine bay on the photo-site? We may be able to point you in the right direction..
What a brilliant idea DL!

I'll get the digi cam tomorrow and do this.

H
Xantia 1.8i Cooling - DL
Make it a nice concise, close-up pic of the engine, looking down if you can.

Give us a nudge when it is there, we'll hop over and have a look-see for you.