Motoring Telegraph - Ash Phillips
Am I the only one who thinks the new (as in the latest revision months ago) layout is total and utter sh*te. Apologies for the language but it winds me up so much every time I try and read anything - popups than manage to evade my filtering program, if I try and filter too much it takes its ball home and I get nothing.
How do you tell if there is something new to read - do you have to click on the sidebar and see, or are the new items the ones that are splashed on the front page? It is so slow and cranky that I dont really read it anymore, but would like to but fear for my blood pressure. If I click on things I know should be there, such as HJ's column it loads a blank (apart from all the crappy banners).

Yours, just returning to simmering
Ash.
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Cockle
Ash
Interesting to see your comments, thought it was just me.
Mind you if you want to really get wound up try the Travel Telegraph, on one of the pages there a pop-up for Lastminute.com actually follows your mouse around the screen and seems to be able to dive in the way every time you click. Grrrrrr!!!!
Cockle ( by the way it's a shellfish!! )
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Andy Bairsto
I find great difficulty withe the complete paper on the net,Its standards have slipped terribly I would say from the very best to crap.Mind you HJ still has a smiling face.
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Dave
I'm still pushing for a Dave Lacey column. ;-)
The Dave Lacey column! - David Lacey
Thanks Dave!

An insiders view into the motor trade, perhaps?

Kind regards

Dave

PS. Everybody - Guy's witty postings will be absent for the next week - he's on a lads holiday in Mali. Oh dear.
Re: The Dave Lacey column! - Dave
David Lacey wrote:
>

> An insiders view into the motor trade, perhaps?

Hardcore technical stuff! And lot's of it!
Re: The Dave Lacey column! - Dave M
So dave? who are u going to find to write an insiders view into the motor trade? take a look at your fingernails your out of touch mate
Re: The Dave Lacey column! - David Woollard
Perhaps he wears latex gloves!

David
Re: Motoring Telegraph - honest john
I'll let the guys who run the electronic telegraph know about this thread. So far complaints I'm aware of are confined to The Backroom. I have received any by e-mail.

HJ
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Randolph Lee
I am another that hates the new design... the Vibrate the whole screen popup for volvo has caused me to vow to never buy annother Volvo and I have owned 2 of them over the years.... It looks like a new graphic designer was hired and he had to 'make it his own' but (and the rest of the site redesign) realy stinks and witha low bandwidth connection as I have when I travel it is almost unuseable... (a side note the pocketpc version of the ET still uses the orignal plain white on blue with min. graphics but is very limited in content)

They went from being the very best newspaper site (and I have read it almost every day for 6+ years) to one of the worst as far as design and use is concerned it now takes more than twice as long each day to acces the UK news and features that interest me

All IMO of course and it is no reflection on the content... just access to it...

~Randolph
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Mark (Brazil)
> I'll let the guys who run the electronic telegraph know about
> this thread. So far complaints I'm aware of are confined to
> The Backroom. I have received any by e-mail.

I wrote an e-mail to them. They told me everybody else liked it.
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Paul Mildren
Ash,

I must confess that I find the new format equally irritating. The pop-up adverts are incredibly annoying - I don't want an Audi A6 and never will!

Apparently the old Telegraph website was getting too cumbersome as it grew so now there are a multitude of smaller sites all linked through the Telegraph home page. Unfortunately the new technology which is supposed to have speeded things up has had the reverse effect, although the administrators claimed some time ago that this was being remedied.

The design does leave something to be desired - it's definitely one of the messier websites and isn't nearly as intuitive as the previous version. I can't imagine new visitors will hang around for long.

There, I've got it off my chest now and feel much happier.

Paul.
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Ian McPartlan
Just to add another voice to the consensus for you to pass on to the powers at ET...they claimed to have consulted ``widely`` with readers before making the changes...hmmmm.

The HJ column is not always accessible, very irritating as living in the far east I depend on the web version...
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Randolph Lee
that was what they told me as well... "only 3% of our readers do not love the new format" made me feel like a ludite!
~R
Re: Motoring Telegraph - John Kenyon
Randolph Lee wrote:
>
> that was what they told me as well... "only 3% of our readers
> do not love the new format" made me feel like a ludite!

That will be because 47% percent of their former readership
have given up on a website which is slower, and has less content
(that's assuming the server can find it in the first place).

/john
Re: Motoring Telegraph - Mark (Brazil)
on the off chance that they actually read this...

I used to read the Electronic Telegraph EVERY day. I used to print out their crosswords, read the comments, everything. Sad, I know, but it was one of my pleasures with early morning coffee & cigarette.

I continued to read it and complain for about two or three weeks.

Haven't read it since, and don't intend to. I've switched to the Times. Sorry, HJ, I don't even go there to read your column anymore.

M.

p.s. www.thetimes.co.uk - its pretty good, or at least its easy to use without 500 squidrillion pop-up windows.