BMW ventilation blower - Sanjeev Thearia
Wandering if anyone can help..
A car recently collided in to the side (front wing / door area) of my older model 328i. As a result, the ventilation blower now malfunctions (it had always worked perfectly before the impact and started to malfunction immediately after). It works intermittently, switching itself off irrespective of what the control panel indicates or what buttons are pressed. It comes back on of its own accord, but is mostly inoperable. The car has climate control.

However, the insurance company's engineer maintains that the malfunctioning blower is unlikely to be incident-related as the blower and associated parts are located centrally under the bonnet / dash and not in or near the side of the car.

Has anyone got any experience of similar problems with the blower, perhaps caused by a collision? Or does anyone know how the collision might have caused this problem ?
RE: BMW ventilation blower - honestjohn
Just had a letter from a reader who was quoted TWO DAYS labour to replace the heater fan resistors of his 1989 Seven Series.

HJ
RE: BMW ventilation blower - Dr John Lee
For the past week my ventilation blower has developed a mind of it@s own. There has been no precipitating RTA. The car is an R reg 316i tourer. It is due to go into the BMW Service Garage on Tuesday 13th Feb. The car is under extended warranty. I will let you know what happens!
RE: BMW ventilation blower - Dave N
It may be that the bodyshop have knocked a connection or earth (it doesn't have to be anywhere near the heater box) when the repair was carried out. You'd be surprised at what needs to be removed/disconnected in bodyshops, and they only use memory when rebuilding and connecting items. Give your insurance company some stick, and they may let you take it to an auto electrician who will probably be able to trace a bad connection or earth fairly quickly.

And it's true, that some components are buried in the dash. I'm not sure where the resistor pack on a 7 series is, but a new blower motor is usually required, as it is this drawing excess current that can blow the resistor. Removing the dash on most models these days is quite common and is a lengthy operation usually meaning the removal of airbags, steering column, a seat etc. A car with all the dash removed is not a pretty sight, and it takes time to get it all back together, and make sure everything works again.
RE: BMW ventilation blower - Dr John Lee
I took my BMW316i Tourer to Whitehouse BMW Ruxley Corner this morning. The fault was diagnosed as faulty resister and was replaced within fifteen minutes under the extended warranty. Coffee and tea were provided and the service was most courteous. What more could one want?

John Lee