Vehicle identity check after damage - dodo
Here in Northern Ireland, if a car is classified category C after damage, it cannot be taxed without first having an inspection (50 miles from where I live). Now a friend tried to tax his car car (Cat C) and was told that it could NOT be taxed until inspected! When he applied to the appropriate inspection branch (with £28.50) they wrote back to say the car did NOT need to be inspected!!! Does this apply on the mainland? We are still part of the UK. This is a very good example of our bureaucratic masters in action - making even lightly damaged cars unsellable -with all the consequences for their values - and our insurance costs!
Vehicle identity check after damage - martint123
As I understand it, a total loss vehicle has its registration document withheld (by the DVLA) until it has passed a Vehicle Inspection Test. When it has passed this, the V5 is issued and it will state that a VIC has taken place.

At first they were to require this for C and D writeoff, but seems only C is required now.

So yes, you need a VIC to tax the car, but only once to get the log book back.

I have no objections at all to the VIC - all attempts to help stop writeoffs being used to puit stolen cars back on the road is a good thing.

Martin

p.s. when your friend tried to tax his car, how did they know it had to be inspected or even a repaired writeoff??

p.p.s. Just noticed that the DVLA site has a link to Northern Ireland rules.
www.dvlni.gov.uk/VIC.htm

Under the VIC scheme, a replacement registration book will not be issued for a vehicle that has been notified to DVLNI as written-off and/or scrapped as a result of an accident, until the applicant has obtained a VIC certificate.

Vehicle identity check after damage - Dwight Van Driver
In force from 7th April this year, see Reg 4 on at

tinyurl.com/mina

DVD
Vehicle identity check after damage - NikWilk

Hi there

The VIC Scheme was abolished as from the beginning of October this year. For a detailed overview of what this means for you, there is a comprehensive guide to the VIC test changes at affvehicleservices.com/blog/vic-scheme-abolished-w.../