'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Ellis
Hello,

Took my Cavalier in to a garage to have some paint re done on warranty, drivers door with it being blown in to the wing. On picking up the car and geting it home central locking does not work. Drivers side door will only lock with the key all others stayed open. Checked the fuse, ok, locked all the doors manually and tried to open them from the drivers side, only drivers door locking/unlocking. Took it back to the garage as the petrol filler cap is staying locked, when the bloke at the garage was trying it I could feel the locking pulse through the boot lid opening button, and I could hear it "having a go" at the fuel filler cap but again no unlocking, i noticed that when he tried to open the passenger door from inside it had actually deadlocked itself.

I also noticed that the lock had been greased but not by myself, had the usual "was it working when you brought it in" etc etc, anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Ellis

'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Victorbox
Assuming the 95 Cav is the same as my earlier one, provided the driver's door lock is not deadlocked (key slot horizontal with key removed) you should still be able to operate the central locking from the passenger door lock or boot/hatch lock. I think the only difference is the driver's door lock is the only one that sets the deadlock and as such the switch here is more complicated in that it switches off the other key lock switches if deadlocked. In fixing the door paint they seem to have messed up this central locking switch. If not deadlocked do the other locks still open the doors? If not, I suspect they've set the driver's door lock switch to deadlocked and its stuck that way. From memory, if the deadlock is on you can't actually turn the key in the other locks or there is more resistance to turning.
'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Ellis
Victorbox,

the key won't turn in the passenger lock and the lock cannot be opened from inside so i assume that the deadlocks are on
'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Victorbox
The microswitch that operates the driver's door central locking including the deadlock function is attached to the exterior handle/lock barrel assembly. A Haynes manual makes this clear. I suspect they've left the switch in the deadlock position and the lock doesn't actually now operate the switch even when the key slot is in the upright position. I assume they've removed the handle to re-spray the door (door skin replaced?)- hence the newly greased lock and haven't put it back together properly. Really its up to them to fix it unless you fancy dismantling the door trim to see whats happened to the switch / handle / lock assembly inside the door. One other thing - if your Cav has electric windows you should be able to close them from outside the car by holding the key in the lock position - sort of 10 to 12 on a clock face - when a little resistance is felt (not right around to the deadlock position)- hold this for 5 seconds or so and the window should close. If this doesn't work it could be another indication the switch is not connected correctly.
'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Dynamic Dave
Yep, I agree with Victorbox. The lock assembly in the drivers door hasn't been correctly re-assembled. Take it back and insist they either put it right, or that they pay another garage to do the work instead.
\'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Ellis
Panic over, they have told me it was due to some paint on the connecting rods, thanks for responses
'95 Cavalier - Central Locking failure - Dynamic Dave
Well done. It's always nice to have a thread concluded with an answer to how the problem was rectified.