Passat Central Locking - bananaman
My wife has a 1995 Passat 1.9TD Estate and the central locking is playing up. When the central locking engages it doesn't lock the boot door. This means that it has to be locked manually. The locking works okay, if a bit lazily on the other doors via the key or by pressing down any of the locking buttons. The central locking system can be heard trying to lock/unlock the doors for up to 30 seconds on each activation.
Is there an easy fix for this or is the central locking unit (I think it is under the floor of the boot) on its way out?
Any thoughs appreciated.
Passat Central Locking - JohnM{P}
The cental locking on these is by vacuum - it is the pump you can hear under the boot floor (inside polysyrene shells on my previous 93M estate). If a lock doesn't work and the rest are lazy, it may be something as simple as a vacuum pipe coming loose and leaking. If you leave it too long, (like wot I did!), eventually the pump itself may fail from too many 30 second attempts, which is expensive!!!
Passat Central Locking - bananaman
Thanks for the reply.
Excuse the stupid question but where are the vacuum pipes and how do I check them.

Cheers
Passat Central Locking - JohnM{P}
Pipes run from pump in boot to the various locks, so I'd guess the first place to look would be behind the tailgate trim, as that is the lock that isn't working at all. Where the lines split from the pump to the individual locks I'm afraid I don't know - my friendly VAG dealer sorted it after I'd let it degenerate... Check for disconnected or loose connections, chafed pipes, etc...