Diesel clean - cholin
HJ's recent column mentioned running diesels at high revs to clean out various elements. Any advice on the method to adopt? Sit in the drive in neutral with throttle down and sort out the nieghbour's washing? Or as one thread had it, go through the gears up to the red line and re-surface the road behind you?
Or is there a more genteel way of going about it?
Thank you.
Diesel clean - mlj
Don't sit in the drive!
Firstly, the engine must be at normal working temperature. I usually find a clear piece of road and floor the throttle in second gear.Take the engine to the redline and repeat in third.
A few cycles of this will clear your exhaust system of accumulated soot. You may be alarmed to see what comes out, so do try to find a clear bit of road. This is particularly good practice just before an MOT. Hope this helps.
Diesel clean - daveyjp
A fiend who does MOTs recommends driving for a few miles on the motorway at 70mph in a gear which results in revs of about 4,000 - 3rd or 4th depending on the engine and gearbox.
Diesel clean - Altea Ego
Firstly, as pointed out, make sure its up to operating temperature first, take it for a good half hour run on a motorway. Then find a suitable reason for using revs thro the gears, accelerating to join a motorway for example. Then take it up to just short of the rev limiter or red line thro all gears 1, 2, 3, (4th will be too quick probably) do this a couple of times, then cruise home to allow things to cool. Bingo - Job done

Dont be scared to rev it, the MOT tester will do far worse!

Diesel clean - hm
If your car uses a cam belt, make sure that its OK before you go red lining it.

There's nothing like give her a good clean out, but a broken belt from is not pretty.
Diesel clean - Mondaywoe
C5 with particle filter! Does it itself! Fuel is dosed with EOLYS fluid automatically and all soot is burned off at regular intervals by the engine management system. Works a treat. Car has now covered 20,000 miles and if you stick a finger up the exhaust it comes out spotless.The inside bore of the pipe looks like a new system straight off the shelf.

My mum's diesel Clio is a different kettle of fish. On the way to the MOT every year I put it in third and give it plenty of welly for a mile or so. It always passes with flying colours and the tester is surprised at how low the emissions are.

Graeme
Diesel clean - cholin
Thanks chaps, much appreciated,now where's that quiet bit of road?
Diesel clean - Altea Ego
Best done at night, with a car behind you. One eye on the rear view mirror and gasp with awe and wonderment at the opaque cloud of noxious stuff highlighted in the car behinds lights.
Diesel clean - ratty
RF, if really you do deliberately expose drivers behind you to these lung cancer causing particulates just for your personal wonderment of smoke in their headlights, then it would only be poetic justice if the same is done to you with all the consequences that go with it.
Diesel clean - mlj
Oh dear. Here we go again. Someone else who does not know what he is talking about.
Diesel clean - cholin
Before we descend to diesel exhausts at dawn, does the fact that the car (Peugeot 2.1 TD)has a 'cat'affect the advice given so far?
Diesel clean - mlj
Cholin- the cat makes no difference.
Diesel clean - Dan J
You cannot see the dangerous particles and in non-particulate filter cars these are released as part of the combustion process of the diesel engine anyway, regardless of whether you're checking your vapour trail in your tailgaters headlights...
Diesel clean - Nortones2
Dan: As you say, its the invisible particles that are likely to escape the lungs defences. however, particulates are emitted by the petrol engine also, but the DTi don't want to talk much about that. I seem to remember someone else state as a "fact" that particulates are a diesel only emission. Taint so. Some studies have identified PM 2.5 and below as problematic. Petrol emissions peak in this area, I understand, especially at speed and WOT.
Diesel clean - Altea Ego
My comments were a joke folks. Lighten up. The same cloud of crud can be seen in following cars lights if you Italian tune a petrol engine too.
Diesel clean - ratty
just seems a lot better to do it wihthout anyone behind
Diesel clean - Vaughan
(I'm keeping quiet here - mine chucks out a load of smog off-boost anyway)...
Diesel clean - Rob the Bus {P}
just seems a lot better to do it wihthout anyone behind

And it also seems a lot better to develop a sense of humour...

Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Rob