Diesel V Petrol - Joe 90
I am going to buy a second hand car (18 month oldish) within the next 6 weeks and have narrowed the field down to;

Mondeo
C5
Audi

I do about 8-10,000 miles a yea,r is there any benefit financially going with a diesel as opposed to a petrol engined car?

Any helpful comments appreciated

Joe 90
Diesel V Petrol - AlanGowdy
With a low mileage I suspect there is no financial benefit worth talking about, considering that the diesel will cost a bit more to buy. I do 20,000 miles a year and there is a definite benefit.

But apart from that I actually PREFER the way a diesel does things. Decent performance without having to rev the engine too hard (which I dislike), easy and swift overtaking, relaxed cruising (I drive a lot on motorways - 2100 RPM at 80 MPH does it for me) and over 50 MPG without trying (over 60 MPG if I pussyfoot it).

I'm glad I made the change.
Diesel V Petrol - daveyjp
How long do you intend to keep the car? Diesel is more expensive than petrol, but you'll get better mpg. I do about 10,000 miles per year. I swapped a 1.8 Focus for a Audi A2 TDi - I now get 50 mpg instead of around 25-30mpg on the journey to work. I bought the Audi in TDi form purely because it was a better drive than the 1.4 and the 1.6 FSi. Over the time I will own the car I probably won't recoup the extra cost of the diesel car over the petrol, but to me it was the better car - which is more important.
Diesel V Petrol - RichardW
At your 8k miles / year it's really going to come down to personal choice / availability. I'd always go for the diesel option by choice as I also prefer the relaxing drive they offer.

Most importantly though a diesel will ALWAYS use less fuel than its petrol counterpart (usually in the region of 25%) and this means you're giving 25% less tax to the Government's stealth tax, as well as saving 25% on your CO2 emissions.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Diesel V Petrol - Maz
Finacially, as the others have said, the difference between the petrol and diesel will be small. The big cost difference comes from depreciation.

The best will be the Audi (assuming new shape A4, by quite a way) next up the Mondeo (a new shape has just been launched), whilst the C5 is a depreciation nightmare - possibly because of the dreadful adverts.
Diesel V Petrol - Andrew-T
If your journeys tend to be short, diesel will be a lot more economical on fuel. On longer runs probably only about 20%. If we had a fuel-price differential such as in France or Ireland it would be a different story.
Diesel V Petrol - peterb
Not much in it on cost.

Which do you prefer the driving characteristics of? Personally, I like nice revvy multi-valve petrol engines but others above enjoy the lethargy of diesels.

Also, how sensitive are your ears? It may be my background (BA in Music) but I really can't stand the noise diesels make!
Diesel V Petrol - AlanGowdy
Peterb, a modern high-pressure injection turbodiesel is anything but lethargic I assure you - it just doesn't need to assail your ears to let you know it's working hard.
But we're all different.
I wince at the sound of an engine revving its knickers off, others love the sound....
Diesel V Petrol - Vansboy
If you anticipate a 'break even' figure of 15,000 miles/year, being fair for an mpg figure to = diesel to start saving on fuel costs.

Selling on again, history shows Peugeot & Citroen have a MUCH higher residual value if diesel.

You'll only buy an older Audi, probably with higher miles already, for C5 or Mondeo money.You, therefore, may have higher servicing costs, earlier, with this choice.

You'll not have so many new shape Mondeo to choose from, in diesel, just yet.Plus the teething problems mentioned in earlier posts, may still be lurking.

A high spec, petrol Mondeo is the way I'd go.Someone else will have taken the initial depreciation, for you.Get a nice, bright metalic,with 40,000miles, maintain it properly & you'll be selling on, a good mileage car in a few years time.

Hope this helps.

VB
Diesel V Petrol - andymc {P}
Joe 90, I know you say you've narrowed the field down to the C3, Mondeo and Audi, but it might be worth looking at a 1 year old Mazda6, as it should be coming onto the used market in slightly greater numbers now. Apparently it combines some of the best characteristics of the above cars. Should certainly be cheaper than an equivalent A4, even if it is younger.
andymc
Diesel V Petrol - Hugo {P}
Remember - Petrols can convert to LPG/Dual Fuel

Then you would save about 45 to 50% on costs.

If you're spending good money on a new car, why not use the saving in buying a petrol to go towards an LPG conversion.

Are the new Astras already dual fuel?

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

****We never stop learning****

Hugo
Diesel V Petrol - enigma2
I have been driving diesels for 14 years now and love the carefree low maintenance they offer. Just think, no more "damp start" problems---which I suffered with my petrol Fords. And they battery on a diesel vehicle is'nt working as hard as a petrol.
I do approx 12/15.000 miles per annum so, yes if the mileage is high, then diesels justify the extra cost. Low mileage, go for petrol! But hey, do what ever you feel is right. The common rail diesels of today are just as nippy and quiet as petrols.
Enigma2
Diesel V Petrol - Armitage Shanks{P}
Enigma2. What is the work that isn't being done by a diesel's battery that is being done by a petrol's? I can see that no ignition to fire up might help but modern systems don't need much urge, or do they? A diesel's battery works its socks off doing cold starts - presumably that's why diesels have much bigger capacity batteries fitted?
Diesel V Petrol - v0n
Hugo write:
\"Remember - Petrols can convert to LPG/Dual Fuel\"

You can convert diesels too - www.p-i-fuelsystems.com/powershot_diesel.htm . However, conversion costs alone are close to £1200-1500? That sum alone, before we even start driving LPG is about 20-25,000 miles worth of diesel fuel or average 3 years of exploatation. So why would anyone - to be exempt from roadtax??

Diesels all the way.
Diesel V Petrol - MarkyMarkD
Hugo write:
\"Remember - Petrols can convert to LPG/Dual Fuel\"
You can convert diesels too - www.p-i-fuelsystems.com/powershot_diesel.htm . However, conversion costs
alone are close to £1200-1500? That sum alone, before we even
start driving LPG is about 20-25,000 miles worth of diesel fuel
or average 3 years of exploatation. So why would anyone -
to be exempt from roadtax??

LPG cars aren't exempt from road tax. They get a trivial £10 or so reduction.

I think you mean congestion charge - great if you live around/drive into London but completely irrelevant to many people.

So agreed, diesel is the far more sensible "low running cost" option.
Diesel V Petrol - Ben79
Drive the 3 cars, if possible both petrol and diesel.

Many people find the Mondeo diesel easy to stall. The VW diesel isn't quite so refined, the C5 is refined but slightly less economical.

I haven't driven an Audi/VW, only the 2.0 TDCI 130 Mondeo and the 1.8 16v and 2.0 HDI 110 C5's. I loved and bought the HDI, but maybe it won't suit you.

As other posters say, 8-10,000 miles is about the break even point, but the diesels do have better residuals.

Ben
On my 3rd Citroen. Saxo, Xsara, C5.
Diesel V Petrol - Dizzy {P}
I agree with Ben about test driving all. Good, long, tests over varied roads if possible -- not just around the block.

I think the important thing when buying a car is to find one that you feel you will be happy with for a long time, rather than place too much emphasis on residual value or fuel economy. If you buy a car on these two criteria and then tire of the way it drives after a few months, you are likely to lose a lot more by selling it than if you choose the right one in the first place and keep it long-term.
Diesel V Petrol - Ben79
See if you can live with the lines on the front windscreen on the Mondeo.

Ben
On my 3rd Citroen. Saxo, Xsara, C5.