MB W124 plenum float - Gary S
Some time ago my 230TE backfired and would start but not run, I managed to find a mechanic who fixed this fault for an outstanding 40 quid...
It's done it again and my clever mb man has gone to greener fields..however he said it was caused by a float in the plenum chamber becoming stuck as a result of the backfire...now I'm quite clever mechanically, but I don't know where to look and my library doesn't have any manuals later than '84.
Any advice gratefully recieved

Cheers Gary S
Me stumped - but it could be this...... - David Lacey
The only thing I can think this could be is some kind of dual ram intake system as found on many of todays engines. The car does seem to be a little early to have this kind of system fitted.

But if it sticks (in either position) I would still expect the engine to run, with less power.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Adam (Tune-up) might be able to help?

Rgds (& good luck!)

David
Re: MB W124 plenum float - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Gary,

If your car has K-Jetronic injection, as I think it will, I suspect that your man was reffering to the airflow meter plate, or the fuel metering pintle that the plate (via it's mounting arm) raises and lowers to determine fuel delivery.

Remove the air filter housing and observe the plate in the centre of it's circular housing. You should be able to move it down and up relatively freely. If not it needs cleaning and/or re-centering. Determining if the pintle is stuck (inside the fuel metering/distributer unit is more difficult. Sometimes it can be freed by a sharp blow with a soft hammer at the top/centre of the unit, but if not it may have to be stripped, which is not a quick/easy/DIY job. If it stuck at the bottom of it's stroke the mixture will be fully weak, if at the top it will flood due to maximum fuelling at anything less than full throttle.

Good Luck, Adam
Re: MB W124 plenum float - Gary S
Cheers Adam, the air flow metering plate is centred and moves very smoothly, I dare say it's the fuel metering pintle you refer to..smack with a hammer you say...is it located beneath the fuel distribution plate? Remove this and there it
is? Any tricks...I am a mech fitter and worked on my own cars all my life but this merc problem is new to me...
Cheers Gary S
Gary,

Have not had do go that deep on a Merc system, but the metering unit is the round cast item with all the fuel pipes sprouting from it. With the engine cranking(so that the fuel pump is running and placing pressure above the pintle) tap the very top/centre of the unit. If not sucessfull the the metering head has to be taken off to check that the pintle is free. Quite complex as all the fuel lines / piles will probably have to come off.

Again, good luck !! Adam
Piles !! I mean pipes of course !!
Re: MB W124 plenum float - It Worked..wuhoo
Thanks Adam...it was the metering pintle...with ignition on to provide fuel press...a light tap was dished out and wallah..heard it click inside and it fired up first time...I owe you one...Thanks a lot...

Gary S.