Help-again please? - Sally Peters

One of my friends has to move & has got a broken Caterham sportscar that needs transporting from Wimbledon to Barnet to be mended & MOT.

Does anyone know of a firm near there that are inexpensive please?

Sally Peters
Help-again please? - DavidHM
I don't, unfortunately (although I live nearby) but if a car is being MoTed, it may legally be driven on the roads to be tested or fixed in relation to the MoT, as long as the work is prebooked and there is evidence of this.

Of course if the car is a non runner, this doesn't help you much, but is there any reason why the work can't be done closer to home?

Thank you David HM for your reply but the car is unable to be driven safely.

Perhaps someone in the Barnet area might know of someone who transports/tows cars for reasonable charge. My friend has lost his job & having to cut costs.

thank you.

Sally Peters
Help-again please? - Hugo {P}
Why not see if your friend can hire a transit sized flatbed and drive it himself?

Provided you can get the car on the flatbed at one end, tie it down properly and go to the garage in Barnet, you can then ask the garage to lift it off the flatbed using a ramp or similar.

Job done!

Alternitively, you can hire car dollys at very reasonable rates, eg in Plymouth the going rate is £30 a day. Provided he can find a car with a towhitch, go down, collect car and then tow it himself.

Job done!

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

****We never stop learning****

Hugo

Thank you Hugo, Will see if a Transit flatbed can be hired for sensible money, I am not sure exactly what you mean but expect friend will know.

I have no towbar(Selling car when logbook arrives)so cant use trailer or Dolly(?)

Sally Peters
Help-again please? - HisHonour {P}
AA or RAC might help?
Help-again please? - DavidHM
I looked into hiring a Transit flatbed and I couldn't get one anywhere for any money. Ridiculous, I know.
Help-again please? - Galaxy
Sally,

Have you tried asking the garage in Barnet if they have any contacts who can transport cars for a reasonable fee? They almost certainly will have.

I was in this position myself about 20 years ago. I lived in East London and wanted a car transported to Ruislip in West London to be repaired. All I did was look in Yellow Pages and contacted a place in Romford who advertised that they did car transport/recovery.

Perhaps I might have been lucky but a chap arrived about an hour later with an old, but perfectly serviceable, flat-bed transporter. He loaded my car up and off we went, he let me come along because I had been to this place before and I knew the best way to get there!

We dropped the car off, and he drove me back, even dropped me off back home. I think he charged me about £35 but I'm talking about quite a long time ago, don't think you'd get a similar job done today for that figure!

Good Luck,

Galaxy

Thank you all for the kind thoughts.Flatbeds were not available.
We have tried the destined garage,tried yellow pages but most people seem to be on holiday.

Galaxy, that would have been a lovely price but not these days,
we are into three figure sums. We still have some leads & might make it yet.

Sally Peters
Place a wanted ad under the appropriate heading in the local free ads.

"I need a car transporting from XXXX to XXXX as soon as possible. Is anyone coming back this route with an empty load and would like a contribution towards fuel? The only proviso is that you must be properly insured for transporting a XXXXXX. Pleas call 00000 000000

Hugo
Help-again please? - henry k
A couple of thoughts. Both the following have the vehicles with recovery kit. Best to request them not to use a grab.
Try the local council contractor who collects the abandoned wrecks.
The local car breakers might be able to do it as they are in the same role of collecting wrecks.
Flatbed rentals, you need to try truck hire firms, not car and van hire.

I suggest you contact someone like BRS truck rental or similar. The most you can drive on a car licence is 7.5T gross.

Hugo
Help-again please? - frostbite
Some hire companies have Transits with speccy lift - if your motor is towable?

No idea what rental charges are though.