Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - Hugo {P}
OK chaps, lets start again.

I did produce a sarcastic answer to this question only because I felt annoyed about Ammo's proud claims about racing an M3 on public roads, whilst everyone else is extremely concerned about road safety. Perhaps we've all learned something here - I have. Ammo's probably just pleased with his new car and wants help.

Right - Ammo is concerned about his traction control or loss of braking control.

My first thoughts are braking pressures on each wheel and make sure the ABS is not disconnected. Mine was on the Xantia and the light didn't show up.

Ammo, get yourself down to ATS, I think they still do a free brake check, and ask them to check out the braking distribution on each wheel and compare it to what it should be.

Let us know how you get on, I wish you success with this.

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

****We never stop learning****

Hugo
Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - TrevP
"make sure the ABS is not disconnected"

I understand, but I did not notice comments about slippery road conditions - so of what relevance is ABS?

(p.s. - my pal is sure - despite me teling him otherwise sevsral times - that his car stops quicker because it's got ABS!!)

maybe a defective brake distribution valve? (so the backs lock?)
Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - Mark (RLBS)
>>I understand, but I did not notice comments about slippery road conditions - so of what relevance is ABS?

Surely if you're swerving, even on a dry non-slippery road, then ABS is relevant ?
Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - TrevP
Well,
1)If you lock the wheels on a dry road in a non-ABS car (or similarly one with defective), you can't swerve.
(and if you're not braking as hard as you can in a panic situation - why aren't you?
That's what the latest "clever-clogs" Brake Assist systems do for you)

2) The original post said braking caused his car to use more of the road.

How can defective ABS cause a car to swerve?

It may cause the brakes to lock, and thus the car to slide, but forwards not sideways.

The purpose of ABS is to give some steering control whilst braking heavily enough to lock wheels.

As the point of locking is sensed on any one wheel, the "magic box" backs off on all wheels - automatically re-applying maximum short of wheel lock again asap.
This gives you steering control.

At the expense of slightly longer stopping distance.

Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - Tony N
maybe a defective brake distribution valve? (so the backs lock?)

Most likey to be this, if you lower these cars the valve needs to be tweaked as more force goes to the rear brakes as the valve thinks the rear is loaded-up.

ABS normally just stops working if there is a fault.
Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - Ben {P}
agree with tony n, thats why iasked ammo if the car was lowered
Ammo's VR6 Question - lets try again - Aprilia
Physical brake problem (e.g. siezed caliper) can cause all manner of braking problems - even with ABS active - and could cause the car to swerve.