306 bumper removal - P 2501
Hi folks, I think one of the cooling fans on my 97 306 xtdt has come loose as i can just see the top of the left hand fan (viewed from the front) and it has definatley come loose. Is this a big repair job on the 306, as it looks like the radiator needs to come out or the bumper off? Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks
306 bumper removal - IanT
You must remove the radiator to replace the fan - no need to remove the bumper.

If it's just a loose nut, you *might* be able to get sufficient access by tilting the radiator. There are two spring clips, one on each side of top of the radiator. Each clip has two prongs holding the radiator and the cooling fan assembly respectively. Lifting the clips allows the radiator and the cooling fan assembly to be slightly tilted towards the rear of the car.

Removing the radiator is quite easy apart from the bottom hose connection, which uses a Peugeot special connector with a locking ring. You rotate the locking ring to release the connector - easy on the Peugeot production line, but access is a bit limited for us mortals.

Refilling the radiator is an art because you need to avoid air locks. Not difficult, but you have to do it the right way. There have been many postings on this site about it, so use the "Search" button.

Ian
306 bumper removal - DL
Best of luck with that awful idea of a bottom hose connection!
Thanks alot for the replies. I only have a small amount of experience with cars, so i am going to have a go this weekend, but if it looks like a new fan unit is needed i will take it in to the garage(Independent!). Thanks again

Duffy
306 bumper removal - IanT
Just want to add to my previous note - you can improve access to the fans by removing the front grille (4 nuts, 2 screws, and clipped plastic to plastic at the bottom).

This will help a lot if the fans can be repaired in situ. But isn't much use if the fans have to be replaced.

Ian
Thanks alot Ian,really helpful advice and just what i was looking for,much appreciated.

I can see what you mean about the bottom hose connection, it looks horrendous!! but i will still have a go this weekend.

Thanks again

Duffy