backache! - barrie minney
I suffer from a bad back and would like to know which car is rated as having the most comforatble driving seat/position.
RE: backache! - Martyn (Back Room Moderator)
Barrie, take a look at the entry for the Fiat Punto in the Car By Car Breakdown. No doubt Honest John will be able to give you a fuller picture, but this is a good point at which to start.
RE: backache and Puntos - Mike
The old model Punto had terrible seats (IMHO), maybe the new model is better. Within the last 2-3 years I have driven various vehicles including Citroen, Ford, Vauxhall, Rover, Volkswagen and Fiat averaging 30 000 miles per year; the best seats? Unbelievably, Mark 2 Granada Ghia X seats are faultless, although too much comfort can lead to drowsiness at the wheel! The worst? Vauxhall Omega, like sitting on planks.

Only my opinion
RE: backache! - Gavin
Saab have a reputation for good seats, and my 92 9000 is certainly very comfortable for long cruises.
RE: backache! - Andrew Bairsto
I do not think it matters what car you buy ,
get what you like and fit a orthopedic aftermarket seat.
regards Andy Bairsto
RE: backache! - honestjohn
I did a story on this with input from Professor Mark Porter of the Ergonomics Unit at the University of Loughborough. To reduce the incidence of back trouble for high mileage drivers the most important aspect is a multipally adjustable driving position: a steering wheel which adjusts in and out and up and down; and a seat which goes up and down as well as in and out and had a rake adjustable backrest. Tilting squabs aren't necessarily a good idea ans many driver thing it is good to tilt the squab forwards. An upright backrest is wrong because this concentrates the entire weight of the upper torso on the base of the spine. A company featured in the column some months ago makes special pelvis supporting seat covers and replacement seats. Within a few weeks we will introduce a mini directory to the FAQs to contain phone numbers of outfits like this which are not already in the FAQ answers.

HJ
RE: backache! - David
I too suffer from a bad back.

My Saab 9000 ( a 97 2.3 CSE Anniversary auto with Abbott performance upgrades) has been the answer for me. The combination of excellent seats(with lots of adjustment), a good straight basic driving position, and the auto box, have been excellent. Driving cars with heavy clutches for a number of years did nothing to help my back. Incidentally, I don't think the newer Saab 9-5, although it still has excellent seats, has such a good driving position.
on a different topic.... - Gavin
What are your Abbott performance upgrades like?
I have been thinking of going to them with my Saab (92 2.3T)
Abbott Racing - David
I have increased power from the standard light pressure turbo 170bhp to 210bhp. The results are very good, and not too expensive (about £500). Increased mid-range go, all in a smoother manner than the full turbo's.

There are lots of options - the Saab Owners Club magazine "Saab Driver" is a good source of information.
RE: Fiat UNO water leak - Peter Todd
A Fiat Uno of my aquaintance has a serious water leak in the rear foot well which seems to spill over into the front footwell. The sides of both wells are dry, no apparent leaks from the boot or windscreens. Any ideas much appreciated.
RE: Fiat UNO water leak - trevor
how old is the uno? could be a rusty hole or if it is a 3door the rear side windows are prone to leaks or the rear lamp gaskets. lift the carpets and use a hose to trace the leak
RE: backache! - Andrew Moorey
My Volvo 740 Estate had the most comfortable and supportive seats I have ever experienced. My Brothers' 940 was the same and a recent test drive in a Volvo 850 T5 shows that for me, a sufferer of a chronic back complaint, Volvo have got it right. The added bonus of seat heating would guarantee relief from backache if I overdid things!
RE: backache! - Jaap Van Der pijl
I had a very comfortable car once, it was a 1997 Rover 600 IL it had the most marvellous Leather seats with a huge variety of adjustments, even the Lumbar support. Sadly It had to be returned to the leasing company.

I don't think they make this car any more, the newest I have seen carry a V plate, I now have a VW passat, which is a better car overall, but not so comfortable !
Re: backache! - Tom Stoddart-Scott
Saabs are definetely the best our family has had 10 in 20 years! and have never had a complaint. The most comfortable was the old shape Classic 900 the three door version however quite old now. Now running a 9-5 Estate which is equally as good and has heated seats.