Micra 13 Auto - hansi
This has probably been happening during the eight years I've had the car but I only noticed it this morning when for some unknown reason, the car wouldn't start first time as it usually does. I had to touch the throttle briefly, had a bit of smoke out and then ok, but when I switched the igniton on, I heard a sort of rushing sound culminating in a click and then started as normal. Ive never noticed it before, does anyone know what it is? Incidentally, I had this starting problem a year ago and it then started to hunt and I had to have a new throttle chamber fitted. Very expensive!!
Micra 13 Auto - Greenparrot
Hi again Hansi
The whooshing sound I would imagine is the electronic fuel pump, by the symptoms you've described I think your Micra is over fuelling. There is a way around this however, a modification to the temperature sensor loom. You will need the help of an auto electrician to fit a resistor in line, although it might be worth contacting Nissan direct to see if they have a factory fix.
Normally manufacturers knock these out at around £30 plus half an hour labour, but who knows Nissan might well do it as a recall.
There is also a slim chance that the car may not start due to flooding, if this scenario arises remove the fuel pump fuse (located in the dash by the drivers lower right leg behind a pull out cover) stick your foot on the accelerator and attempt to start as normal, after the engine eventually kicks in switch off, replace fuse and start as normal.
Micra 13 Auto - hansi
Thanks for replying so quickly GP. I wouldn't think Nissan would do it as a recall after 8 years. I'll see how it starts over the next week, and I'll have a word with my garage about it. It's been doing this ever since I've had the car I suppose so I don't think there's much wrong. Thank you for your hints, very kind.
Micra 13 Auto - Dynamic Dave
Hansi,

Several threads previously mention the Micra and it's starting problems.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7971&m...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8922&m...e
Micra 13 Auto - hansi
Thanks for that Dave. You really are all very helpful on this site. It seems to be ok now. My wife just took it out when she went to her mum's and she said it started ok. It just gave me palpitations because last time this happened,as I said before, I had to have a throttle chamber fitted last year which was megabucks!! The car today must have known we were talking about part exing it for a new Daewoo Kalos and refused to start! but I changed my mind after they only offered me £900 for the Micra. Think I'll run it into the ground now!! Thanks again everyone.