VW Golf mkII Heater fan stopped - junkit
The car heater fan has stopped working. Its been cutting out for a couple of weeks, but has now finally given up the ghost. Its not the fuse, and the heat still comes through, so its just the fan.

Can anybody advise me what I should do?

Junkit
VW Golf mkII Heater fan stopped - DL
Probably the resistor pack.....try German and Swedish for parts
VW Golf mkII Heater fan stopped - Rudedog
If the resistor pack has failed then the fan will only work on the highest setting (no. 3 I think). The fans are very prone to water entering them from the air grill on the bonnet. Water goes straight down into the fan via the pollen filter housing and seizes the motor. The fan can be replaced from inside the car by removing the trim under the glove-box. A new fan and resistor pack are expensive, even from GS&F or Europarts, it's cheaper to get one from a VW breaker where the parts are quality checked.
VW Golf mkII Heater fan stopped - pete&hisgolf
My mark 2 Golf heater fan used to be very intermittent but since I started doing a lot of relatively high speed motorway miles it seems to have sorted itself out. Have no idea why!

Pete
VW Golf mkII Heater fan stopped - Marcos{P}
Probably not relevant to a Golf but it might help.
I used to have an Orion years ago and the fan stopped on that, traced it to the fuseboard and when I removed the thing I found one of the solder tracks had a dry joint. I actually ended up re-doing all the joints as they were so badly done.
VW Golf mkII Heater fan stopped - junkit
Well it turns out it was the fan unit. I found this detailed link of how to change it. website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm

Picked one up from a junk yard for £5. Thanks for the help.

Junkit