1987 golf help please - swanny
i have a knock/rumble from the front end when pulling away or putting the engine under any duress......replaced the front engine mount but the knock persists any ideas pls?
1987 golf help please - Hugo {P}
CV joints/gaitors

****Signature? - I have to think of that as well??****
1987 golf help please - A Dent{P}
Yep CV joints are most likely.
Go to an empty car park and slowly pull away withe the wheels turned to full lock, in both directions and try it in reverse.
The noise you have will probably be worse.
Not worth replacing them as they are worth more than the car. On the other hand, if you can put up with the noise they will last ages in that state.
Check the boots are not split though.
1987 golf help please - Dynamic Dave
Not worth replacing them as they are worth more than the
car...

But are also an MOT failure if worn. Is it cheaper to replace the cv joints or scrap the car. Better the devil you know??
1987 golf help please - Halmer
How much are you talking about to replace them (you're worring me now as I also have an old Golf that's just got thro the MOT today)?
1987 golf help please - Hugo {P}
If the gaiters/boots are shot I would suggest firstly stripping the boots off, packing the actual joints with CV joint grease (lots of it) then putting new gators on. Use the boots that you can put on without removing the drive shaft. Those were the best item ever invented. Why I decided to REMOVE my drive shaft on my Regata I never know, when these were freely available.

This may lesson the symptom and the MOT inspector may be suitably impressed with the new gaitors and just give that area a passing glance.

If you do need to change them I would probably try to get some at a breakers yard. The whole drive shaft will probably cost you around £15 or so I guess. Just make sure they're not slack before you part with you HEC (Hard Earned Cash).

Another BR acronym is born!

****Signature? - Ideas on a postcard please anyone!****

Hugo
1987 golf help please - Dynamic Dave
Use the boots that you can put on without removing the drive
shaft. Those were the best item ever invented....

Not if you read this thread they\'re not.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=14...9

Personally I have to agree with the majority vote that the split & glue type cv boots are only good for a quick bodge and do not make for a long term repair.