Vectra EGR Valve - CarlW
I have a '97 2.0TDi Vectra and the gasket around the EGR valve seems to be slightly leaking.
I need to change it as the car is "almost stalling" once avery morning, and air might be getting in.

I was wondering if anyone has removed this valve before to change the gasket, as in the Haynes manual it says that it should never be removed from the inlet manifold!!!

Cheers
Carl
Vectra EGR Valve - Deryck Tintagel
I have not removed one but was looking for it only last night - a colleague is having problems with his on the Astra.

I had a look on a technical information CD that Vauxhall use and it doesn't mention NOT taking it off - in fact it tells you how to remove it. It did state that a new gasket should be fitted and the seating surfaces thoroughly cleaned.
Vectra EGR Valve - CarlW
OK, Thanks Deryck.
What problems is your colleague having?

Anyone else removed the EGR valve / got any comments ??

Cheers all
He tells me that the engine warning light comes on every now and then - more so in the colder or damper weather - and is not permanently on. No symptoms such as stalling.
Vectra EGR Valve - CarlW
Hi Deryck

I was wondering how you're friend is getting on with his EGR valve problem.

I checked the torque of the two bolts on mine was 15 foot-pound, but the threads seem dodgy as the wrench wouldn't click !!!!

Carl
Don't know at the moment - he is bring the car to work next week to have a quick look at. I know what it looks like but couldn't figure out where it was on the engine of his Astra so I said that I would try to find it for him.

I seem to remember that the torque for the EGR valve is about 20Nm - not sure what this is in lb/ft does this seem excessive. I can re-check if necessary.
Vectra EGR Valve - CarlW
The book says that 20 Nm = 15lb/ft so you're spot on.
Seems I have another dodgy thread as it keeps spinning, I've already replaced the sump as the previous owner forced a different bolt into the drain plug !!!!!!

Let me know about the Astra.

Cheers
Carl
Vectra EGR Valve - pastyman
Hi Deryck,

This Vauxhall tech Cd, does it cover a year 2000 (X reg) Vectra.
If so, i don't suppose a copy is out of the question ?

Pastyman.
Yes it does cover the 2000 X plate - I think that it covers the new model too and all other models to boot. Unfortunately I don't have access to a CDR-W at the moment but I got mine from eBay for about £5 - don't pay more as the guy doing them keeps churning them out on a regular basis.

If you have problems drop another message on the forum and I'll see what I can do.
Vectra EGR Valve - DL
This info CDROM shouldn\'t be out in the public domain....I\'m sure GM would take a dim view of anybody distributing it....be warned!
Quite - but it's very useful. A lot of the features require access to Vauxhall network and Tech 1 / 2 but the rest of it is quite useful to find your way around the car.

Having said that though - GM dealers are quite happy to give information from the ROM and about any aspect of the car - in my experience.
Vectra EGR Valve - CarlW
Absolutely agree, I've just ordered the TIS one from ebay for a fiver as well.
Can't wait to see what info it has!!!
Not easy to navigate your way around some of it but with a little effort you can find what you want.

Directed fault finding is quite good.

Worth the fiver
Vectra EGR Valve - SpamCan61 {P}
I've just gone the Ebay route for TIS and EPC as well; one thing to bear in mind is that they are not normally the latest disks; the ones I bought are '97 vintage. Not a problem to me; as my newest VX is '95 model; but not much use to anyone after info on '98 models!